Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

KC705 Ethernet

Hi.

I have Xilinx KC705 board and i want to transmit data from PC to FPGA with thorughput above 10 MB/s. For this purposes i use Gigabit Ethernet and AXI Ethrenet Subsytem IP.

So, I have a few questions.

1. Should i make TCP/IP protocol? Or i can use Ethernet frames?

2. Should i use DMA Controller with DRAM or i can receive packet directly to my next block of my application?

3. What packet parser will be better? VHDL-based or Microblaze-based.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

implement the simplest possible system to make it work which in my opinion is a MB + AXI-Ethernet + lwIP and do your parsing on MB. Once you have that functional, if performance is not good enough, you can think of optimizing the pieces but not before then.

You can check out this xapp: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1026.pdf

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

So, it works. I achieved speed 415 Mbits/s, that's enough for my apllication. Thank you.

And now i have another question.

I can transmit some data from PC to KC705 board. As i understand this data is written in DDR3 memory. How i can get this data from memory and send it to my next FPGA block with speed 80Mbits/s???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

80 Mb/s is slow enough that you can directly write to your IP connected to a m_axi_gp port from the cpu. Basically a memcpy or a loop with *ip = *ddr_addr++; type copy depending on how you connect the ip to axi.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Do you have some example?

0 Kudos