UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant zvs
Participant

Kintex-7 GTX receivers open ports

Jump to solution

Hi!

I'm using the XC7K160T. In the device I've utilized four GTX receivers in the MGT_BANK_115 and one receiver in the MGT_BANK_116. Should I connect the remaining receivers' input pins in the MGT_BANK_116 to ground or should I leave them floating?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, zvs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

回复: Kintex-7 GTX receivers open ports

Jump to solution

@zvs

What is the "biased" and what is the "not biased"?

I am not sure, but …   For some RX_CM_SEL settings, FPGA input-pins for the receiver are connected through 50-ohm resistors to a voltage (MGTAVTT or Programmable – see Fig 4-2, UG476) and I suspect this is called “biased”.  

Again looking at Fig 4-2, for these “biased” conditions it makes sense to leave input-pins unconnected for an unused receiver.   If you instead ground input-pins of a “biased” and unused receiver, then there could be large and unnecessary current draw through the 50-ohm resistors shown in Fig 4-2.

Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Kintex-7 GTX receivers open ports

Jump to solution

For best ESD protection, unused pins maybe connected to ground,

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi zvs,

There are details about how to deal with unused MGT pins in the UG476, you can check this doc, Table 5-7 for details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Participant zvs
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies!

I've seen the Table 5-7 of the UG476, but I'm confused a little. What is meant when it's said "biased" (If a receiver is not used and not biased, connect the associated pin pair to ground. If the receiver is not used but biased, leave the pin pair unconnected.).
Does it mean powered MGT supply rails, or it means configured RX termination voltage (except the FLOAT option)? What is the "biased" and what is the "not biased"?

Best regards, zvs.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@zvs

What is the "biased" and what is the "not biased"?

I am not sure, but …   For some RX_CM_SEL settings, FPGA input-pins for the receiver are connected through 50-ohm resistors to a voltage (MGTAVTT or Programmable – see Fig 4-2, UG476) and I suspect this is called “biased”.  

Again looking at Fig 4-2, for these “biased” conditions it makes sense to leave input-pins unconnected for an unused receiver.   If you instead ground input-pins of a “biased” and unused receiver, then there could be large and unnecessary current draw through the 50-ohm resistors shown in Fig 4-2.

Mark

0 Kudos
Participant zvs
Participant

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply, Mark! Apparently this is true.

Regards, Zvs.

0 Kudos