UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer goldmanggo
Observer

LVDS signal connected to HR Bank which powered in 1.8V

Jump to solution

I have a design shown as the picture below.

In a HR bank powered by 1.8v supply, several LVDS differential signals are used. But, in vivado or ise constraint file i can't define them like ‘IOSTANDARD = LVDS', or it will be an error. Finally, i use the 'LVDS_25' constraint, and it passed and worked well. However, does that damage  the FPGA device? is there any performance degradation?

k7_lvds.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: LVDS signal connected to HR Bank which powered in 1.8V

Jump to solution

setting the standard to _25 is fine for an input.

LVDS is in theory a 'standard' voltage swing around a reference level, that fixed for all lvds ,

this might help

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43989.html

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

If these are inputs, this is fine, with the following caveats (from UG471):

It is acceptable to have differential inputs such as LVDS and LVDS_25 in I/O banks that are
powered at voltage levels other than the nominal voltages required for the outputs of those
standards (1.8V for LVDS outputs, and 2.5V for LVDS_25 outputs). However, these criteria
must be met:
• The optional internal differential termination is not used (DIFF_TERM = FALSE,
which is the default value).
• The differential signals at the input pins meet the VIN requirements in the
Recommended Operating Conditions table of the specific device family data sheet.

In short,  LVDS inputs are fine, as  long as you don't use the internal termination.   For LVDS outputs, there will probably be degraded speed characteristics (i.e. slew rates), but it won't damage the device.    If you need really high speed, you might want to consider changing to another differential standard.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Jump to solution

setting the standard to _25 is fine for an input.

LVDS is in theory a 'standard' voltage swing around a reference level, that fixed for all lvds ,

this might help

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43989.html

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>

View solution in original post

Observer goldmanggo
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot , that's exactly what i want!

0 Kudos