cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

MMCM dynamic phase shift: psdone never asserted

I have been trying to simulate dynamic phase shifting in a 7-series MMCM module.  I assert psen for one clock cycle, then wait for over twelve cycles of the psclk, but psdone always stays low.  Also if I look down inside the MMCME2_ADV primitive, none of the ps signals look to be toggling or doing anything when I send psen. I made this module with the clock wizard, but the MMCME2_ADV seems to be configured correctly when I look at the source.

*I reset the MMCM at the beginning of my simulation.

*I am not trying to shift the phase until thousands of ns after the MMCM has locked.

*I remembered to enable the dynamic phase shift feature, and to enable fine phase shift on my output clocks, when I was configuring the clock wizard.

*The psclk is running, and psen is synchronous to it.

*I have tried both incrementing and decrementing; results are the same.

*The Vivado version used is 2017.1; the clock wizard IP version is 5.4

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: MMCM dynamic phase shift: psdone never asserted

Hi @jhane

Are you observing this behavior in simulation?

If yes, share the simulation snapshot here.

What is the frequency of PSCLK? Is PSCLK clean? 

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi @vuppala

Here is a screenshot.  The top-level signals locked, psclk, psen, psincdec, and psdone are at the bottom.  Everything else is from inside the MMCM.

Yes psclk is clean.  It is running at 125 MHz.

mmcm.gif

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

It looks like this was never resolved.  Sadly I am seeing the same thing while simulating in Modelsim with models generated by Vivado 2019.1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

I had the same problem, using the MMCME2_ADV in VCS:  psdone never asserted.  I was using my firm's precompiled libraries.  (I instantiated the primitive myself; I didn't use the wizard.)  Then I tried recompiling the source (Vivado/data/verilog/src/unisims/MMCME2_ADV.v, version 2017.1, last revised 11/26/2014) into my work library and then it started working.  I don't understand why; I think the precompiled version I had been using was from the same source, but something must have been different.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @kevinneilson @jhane @emcalnan @vuppala 

#1  make sure that you select USE fine PS in the clocking wizard IP

use_fine_ps.png

#2 When using the direct primitive instantiation, Make sure that you set the below attribute.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos