Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Managing supply voltage of SAKURA_G

Jump to solution

I am working on a project using SAKURA_G board. I am wondering is it possible to separate the VCCINT to different groups to provide voltages for different portions of the FPGA? Or is it possible to let the Spartan 6 FPGA of SAKURA_G board to work under multiple supply voltages?

Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

It's very straightforward..   The board is designed with a variable resistor (VR1) that lets you change the Vccint voltage on the Spartan-6 FPGA.   I recommend that you try 1.1 V,  1.15V,  1.2V, and 1.25V.    These voltages will be safe, and won't damage the FPGA.   I have heard rumors about certain Chinese equipment makers that run the Spartan6 devices at 1.3V in order to get higher performance from the PLL,  so even 1.3V is likely to be ok.

good luck with your experiments!

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Sorry,  Vccint cannot be split.    It's a single physical power plane inside the package.   The voltage should always be 1.2V for Spartan-6.   If you need to conserve power, there are various tricks, but typically, the best way to save power is to avoid the use of PLL and DLL elements, and to reduce the clock as low frequency as practical.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. My goal is not powering saving. My project needs the FPGA to be working under multiple supply voltages.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
its not clear what you are trying to do, can you elaborate? also i am not familiar with this SAKURA_G board have you talked with the makers of the board as well?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The SAKURA_G can be used to run experiment on AES. My goal is to let the AES crypto algorithm operate under 4 different values of supply voltage. I wanted to contact makers but I am not sure who should I talk to. Could you give me some direction?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

It's very straightforward..   The board is designed with a variable resistor (VR1) that lets you change the Vccint voltage on the Spartan-6 FPGA.   I recommend that you try 1.1 V,  1.15V,  1.2V, and 1.25V.    These voltages will be safe, and won't damage the FPGA.   I have heard rumors about certain Chinese equipment makers that run the Spartan6 devices at 1.3V in order to get higher performance from the PLL,  so even 1.3V is likely to be ok.

good luck with your experiments!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I believe this can help a lot on my experiment. Although I wanted to apply different values of VCCINT simultaneously, it is good enough knowing this. Thanks a lot! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Actually I have another problem. Do you know how can I adjust the voltage exactly at these voltage values? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Mentor
Mentor

Hook up a digital voltmeter to the 1.2V Vccint supply on the board, and then adjust VR1 until you see the voltage you want.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks!

0 Kudos