Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Measuring Power Consumption and Printing on Serial COM Port

Hello all,

I am currently running some basic mathematical operations such as addition and multiplication using the UART within the PS of a Zynq-7000. I was wondering if there was a way to measure the power consumed for this operation and display it over a serial terminal such as Tera Term.

Thanks,

Vel.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Measuring Power Consumption and Printing on Serial COM Port

Quite difficult I would say... 

This is software running on the processor? 

Unless you can measure the current on the power rail in question (depends if your hardware supports this, pmbus/i2c on the power regulator that let's you read the current from the Isense line) and have a measure of the voltage on the die (you can use the XADC for this) you won't know the power. Even then you'd probably need to run the software over a long period of time and understand the average power consumption because it would be difficult to correlate the software application execution to the current measurement 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Re: Measuring Power Consumption and Printing on Serial COM Port

Hi Klumsde,

Thank you for the response.

I am currently only using the PS (processing system) part of the Zynq-7000 on which I am running some basic mathematical operation code. Eventually I want to move this to performing the mathematical operation on the PL (programmable logic) and output the results over a serial COM port terminal (which I think would include bringing in the PS). Any tips on how to do this?

I’m assuming if the design is mainly evolved around the PL, power consumption and timing would be much easier to measure?

Kind Regards,

Vel.

0 Kudos