UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Microblaze for high speed Design

Hi,

Can we achieve  high speed data transfer through microblaze design?

I am connecting Aurora(3.125 Gbps) with Microlaze.  Data is getting transfered, which is verified at console and ILA. but how can i ensure that the data rate is 3.125 Gbps? and the microblaze is running at 100 MHz.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Microblaze for high speed Design

I'll be pretty surprised if a Microblaze can produce data that fast. After all, it can only do 32 bits of data at a time, and to deliver 3.125Gbps that will mean that it's delivering 32 bits in very nearly every clock cycle.

What is the application behind this? If it's something that is doing calculations, and you need those calculations to be completed at 3.125Gbps, then Microblaze is almost certainly the wrong device for the job.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks for your response..

I need to send the data  which is coming from out from TDC and some other Sensor .. I need to transmit the data through Aurora at High Speed. In this case how can I do my design without uB?  

What Should I use instead uB?

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Normally you would write a HDL block that packages the data in the required format and sends it off to the Aurora core. With a HDL block it should be easy to get a 32-bit value sent out on every single cycle.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

In my design most of the functional blocks are working with uB only. can I put BRAM b/w uB and Aurora? So that the processing speed of data can be increased right?

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Putting a BRAM buffer/FIFO between Microblaze and the Aurora core will mean that temporary interruptions in the Microblaze output won't be a problem, but the overall required data rate from Microblaze remains the same.

I don't think there's a solution to this problem that involves Microblaze. Microblaze is designed for controlling HDL blocks and managing low-speed, high-level interfacing. It's not built for being part of a super-high-speed data path.

0 Kudos