Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ojay77
Observer
Observer

Multicycle path setting

Hello,

I have a design with a main 300 MHz clock and several clock enables that require correct multicycle constraint delay settings to be placed (else the design will fail timing). I read multiple Xilinx documents on how to do that and they weren't that clear. A xilinx FAE sent me an alternate format that also didn't work initially but he later modified it and now it does. This is an example of his format:

set my_ena_x1 [get_nets -of_objects [get_pins -of_objects [get_cells upconvert_qam_x8_inst/master_timing_inst/ena_1x_reg] -filter { DIRECTION == OUT }]]
set my_ena_x1_pins [get_pins -leaf -filter {IS_ENABLE} -of $my_ena_x1]
set my_ena_x1_cells [get_cells -of $my_ena_x1_pins]
set my_ena_x1_clocks [get_pins -leaf -filter {IS_CLOCK} -of $my_ena_x1_cells]
set_multicycle_path -from $my_ena_x1_clocks -to $my_ena_x1_cells -setup 32
set_multicycle_path -from $my_ena_x1_clocks -to $my_ena_x1_cells -hold 31

One of my enables goes into a VHDL module where it is used to generate another enable at the same rate. However I think the proper timing contraints aren't being applied to that because I get timing violations in the timing report in that module where the setup requirement is 3.3s which corresponds to source clock period. I know for a fact that the requirement should be that times 16 if the settings were applied correctly. Can someone explain how to extract that net to apply the timing setting correctly EVERYWHERE that enable goes?

I am still confused on the difference between nets and cells. Can someone also explain? I need to master this.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pedro_uno
Advisor
Advisor

Multicycle timing constraints are very difficult to do correctly in the Vivado xdc (sdc)  constraint language.

The Timing Constraint Wizard might help to get them right but I generally modify my design to not require them or just fall back to the good old set_max_delay constraint.

Good luck,

----------------------------------------
DSP in hardware and software
-----------------------------------------
0 Kudos
ojay77
Observer
Observer

constraint wizard is helpful when there's a few path you need to constrain. However, I have global clock enables going everywhere (high fanout) and it would make my life so much simpler if I could write an tcl line that would basically tell the tool to set a multicycle constraint everywhere this enables goes...

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos