UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor tnlee
Visitor

[Newbie] FPGA for BIM-SLD conversion?

In the construction sector, while the industry is used to Electrical Single Line Diagram (SLD) in BIM, mechanial-electric-plumbung (MEP) consultant requires SLDs for MEP Design. The common software to generate SLD is Revit.

Given that, is it possible for FPGA to be used to accelerate the conversion between BIM and SLD?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: [Newbie] FPGA for BIM-SLD conversion?

Hi @tnlee 

which device we were you considering?

I must admit that I don't have any insight into what these two things are. 

More generally, you want to take one file type and convert it to another. 

How does this operation usually work? You'd need to understand the operation the SW is doing to go from one file to the other. 

If this involves iteratively going through the file and converting it then maybe it would make sense to look at a way this could be broken up and parallelized. 

I would hope someone more knowledgeable can comment but you'd likely need to give us more details. 

Keith 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor tnlee
Visitor

Re: [Newbie] FPGA for BIM-SLD conversion?

Hey @klumsde ,

Thank you for the reply. I was considering VU+ with HBM boards, because BIM files could be quite heavy. I did a bit more research into the topic, and I realized that it might be difficult for FPGAs to assert any kind of proposition in BIM-SLD conversion, because these BIM and SLD are usually done on SW like Revit, while Unity handles the visualization part. Given that most of these are closed-source SW, it might not make sense for FPGAs after all.

0 Kudos