cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar
Scholar

PCIe is hanging host boot

Jump to solution

I'm using Vivado 2018.1, PCIe Endpoint v3.3, [system] verilog.

• I have a custom 4-lane PCIe/104 board connected to an ADL single board computer (SBC) running RHEL 7.
  • The PCIe Endpoint demo (pcie_7x_0_ex) works insofar as RHEL 7 sees it with lspci, upon either cold start or jtag/reconfigure and warm start of the SBC.  This proves I do *not* have a cold start whose-first race condition problem.
  • When I comment out the "application" (pcie_app_7x) and then cold start, a VIO I've added confirms that the PCIe link is "up".  However, the SBC never finishes booting.  I see a BIOS message and then the monitor powers off due to lack of incoming signal.  This is in contrast to the case of the full working demo, when the BIOS message is followed by RHEL boot information.

So how could the absence of the "application" cause the SBC to not finish booting?  Are there transactions handled at the "application" level, which is above the PCIe Endpoint v3.3 level, where the absence of this handling causes such a hang?

I know you're going to ask why I want to remove the application.  The fact is that this then replicates my results for a 4-lane Xillybus demo that causes the same SBC boot hang.  The Xillybus demo has a "xillybus_core.v" at the same logical position as the "application" (pcie_app_7x).  In asking how the PCIe Endpoint demo might hang the boot, I'm really trying to figure out if and how the xillybus_core.c might be hanging the SBC boot.  Otherwise, I've confirmed all of my players here by different means or on different FPGA platforms.  Xillybus works.  PCIe Endpoint demo works.  Everything works in one way or the other, outside of the scenario I actually need.

Thanks VERY much,

Helmut

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

For the record, this issue was solved. See

http://forum.xillybus.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=607

Regards,

Eli

View solution in original post