cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

Partial Reconfiguration Timing Calculations Using PR Controller

Hello,

I am trying to follow the tutorial from Xilinx for Partial Reconfiguration controller using KC705 Board. I have followed all the steps given in there and loaded the Micron flash - 28f00ap30t with the required bitstreams. The flash was programmed using the write_cfgmem command. I use the hardware triggers given on the board (push buttons) to load the desire partial bitstream. Now I want to calculate how many clock cycles it takes for the FPGA to be reconfigured when a hardware trigger is sent. 

The following code counts the number of clock cycles:

if clk'event and clk = '1'then
        --rm_status_in is the status of the PR Controller 
	if rm_status_in(2 downto 0) = "100" and start_counting = '0' then
		start_counting <= '1';
		count <= 0;
	elsif rm_status_in(2 downto 0) = "111" then
		start_counting <= '0';
	end if;

if start_counting = '1' then
		count <= count + 1;
	end if;

time_count_out <= count; -- output the counts
end if;

The status has been taken from PG193 partial reconfiguration controller page 25.

For example, I selected a partial block containing SLICE_X0Y100:SLICE_X5Y149. It generates a partial bit-stream of 320 KB. 
When I send a hardware signal to reconfigure this partial block with a new design it takes 1806113 clock cycles to reconfigure. This comes out to be 18 ms using a 100 Mhz clock 

While according to the ICAP documentation using a 100Mhz clock and ICAP width set to 32-bit is should reconfigure that block in 0.82 ms.

Please, can anyone help me in finding that how can I accurately measure the time (or clock cycles) it takes to configure a partial block using ICAP and PR Controller.

Thank you.

Kashif Wajid 

0 Kudos