Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Platform Cable USB II vs SPI flash load problems

Jump to solution
I am having a very strange issue.  I have an Artix50 running on with clock at 100MHz.  I have a microBlaze MCS with a UART terminal output.  The output prints a voltage message once every second.

If I load the Artix with a .bit file using the Platform Cable USB II, it works well and runs for hours. 

If I program the Artix SPI flash and boot from flash, the uBlaze will run for about 10 seconds then hangs.  After about 5 minutes, it restarts and hangs in less than 1 second.  The FPGA functionality looks go be OK?

What are the differences from bit file load vs SPI flash load? Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The issue with SPI flash load is the default settings in the Device Properties.  For some reason, even if you have SPI selected as your configuration scheme, SelectMAP and Prohibit config pins are enabled.  This corrected my issue:

View solution in original post

Device_properties.png
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Configuration source of FPGA shouldn't cause any issues.

Can you please see if the erroneous behavior is consistent? After the FPGA is configured from the flash, can you please try to run/debug application through JTAG?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

The issue with SPI flash load is the default settings in the Device Properties.  For some reason, even if you have SPI selected as your configuration scheme, SelectMAP and Prohibit config pins are enabled.  This corrected my issue:

View solution in original post

Device_properties.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In Artix FPGA & SPI flash interface there is chance of timing problem or IO standard compatibility problem. Please check

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

@cfinscopix What is the vivado version are you using?

Default settings are:

Persist: Disabled

Abort: Enabled

How is abort sequence affecting your design is something i am not understanding especially when using SPI mode.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am using Vivado 2016.2.  The issue was the default value on Persist was set to Enabled.  I uninstalled everything and reinstalled and the Persist was Enabled.

Disabling this allowed the SPI flash to work properly.

Chris

0 Kudos