Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
binayak_shrestha
Adventurer
Adventurer

Powering up Zynq 7000 SoC

Jump to solution

Hi,

When powering Zynq 7000 SoC (Z-7045), if the the power on/off sequencing of PS and PL sections are being followed as given in DS191, can we begin the powering on the rails of PL and PS section at the same time? Or, is there any need to power up one section (PL or PS) completely before powering up the other one?

Same doubt while powering down.

Thanks,

Binayak

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bpatil
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @binayak_shrestha 

Please check  https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/57819.html 

It is fine to combine PS and PL power rails, if combined voltage rails meets the data sheet requirements for voltage and tolerance all the time.  

Regards,
Bhushan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
allanherriman
Mentor
Mentor

Yes, it's quite ok to power them at the same time.  My designs share rails between the PS and PL where possible.

0 Kudos
binayak_shrestha
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply. Sharing of power rails was one of the reasons I had in mind. The other reason was to accomodate PMIC supplies. However, the EVM (ZC-706) separates the PL and PS power supplies. 

Thanks,

Binayak

0 Kudos
binayak_shrestha
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

Can any Xilinx employee verify this:

- a PL voltage rail and a PS voltage rail can be fed through a same power-ground power bus?

Thanks,

Binayak

0 Kudos
joe306
Scholar
Scholar
Hello, I will be doing a Zynq-7000 design soon and I am researching the power up sequence. Did you use a microcontroller for the sequencing?
0 Kudos
allanherriman
Mentor
Mentor

I usually do this the simple way: I just cascade the PGOOD output from one rail's DC/DC converter into the ENABLE input of the next one.

It works.  It doesn't require any special manufacturing steps.

joe306
Scholar
Scholar
Sounds reasonable?
0 Kudos
allanherriman
Mentor
Mentor

It works for me.  On the other hand, if you already have an "always-on" microcontroller on your board for some other purpose (e.g. battery management) you might as well use that.

The Zynqs don't need complicated sequencing though.  I stagger the power on times of my various rails to reduce the peak inrush current, rather than for any FPGA-related reason.

joe306
Scholar
Scholar
Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
bpatil
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @binayak_shrestha 

Please check  https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/57819.html 

It is fine to combine PS and PL power rails, if combined voltage rails meets the data sheet requirements for voltage and tolerance all the time.  

Regards,
Bhushan

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos