UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Programming flash chips via Kintex-7 FPGA using ISE iMPACT

Application Notes: 7 Series FPGAs (figure 1) clearly indicates SPI Flash can be programmed On-board via FPGA using the ISE Design Tool iMPACT.

Is this true, some people telling me you can only program using Vivado?

Development has come to a stop until I can answer this question

Thank You

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Programming flash chips via Kintex-7 FPGA using ISE iMPACT

Bluebutter622,

7 series should still be supported in IMPACT but IMPACT being a part of ISE has not been updated since ISE version 14.7 which is on par with Vivado 2014.7. So IMPACT will have limited updates that vivado has gotten and will continue to get for the foreseeable future. For example limited support for certain configuration solutions. In any case are you folks aware of the vivado lab edition? Similar to ISE labtools is a standalone programming/debug tool for all vivado supported devices which includes 7-series and newer. 

https://www.xilinx.com/video/hardware/using-vivado-lab-edition.html

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/vivado-design-tools.html

vivado lab edition.JPG

Regards,

Tezz

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@bluebutter622

For years, we have used both Vivado and iMPACT (without any problems) to program a board that has a Micron flash, MT25QL128ABA1ESE, and a Kintex-7 (XC7K160T-3FBG484). 

As tenzinc say (see also Table 2-1 of UG631), the Kintex-7 was supported by ISE/iMPACT.

Cheers,
Mark

0 Kudos

Thank you, we have some older logic that we are going to reuse, source logic/schematic is in ISE 14.7, our goal is to initially burn to new chip and modify in ISE, I do not believe we can translate source logic to Vivado for manipulation?  Please correct me if I am wrong, we do have both development suites.

Thank You

0 Kudos

Thanks Mark, we are going to run some tests today, its nice to have a little confidence going in.
0 Kudos