Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

QSPI free space

Jump to solution

Does my Bare Metal application have access to the QSPI that is used to load the system? Can I store and load data from the Flash? How much space? Starting at what address?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jcrash29 

If you want to configure the QSPI as the boot media, firstly, you should create a BOOT.bin/mcs file which includes fsbl.elf, bitsteam(if you have a PL design) and <your application>.elf using Xilinx Tools->Create Zynq Boot Image tool in XSDK. 

Then, program the generated BOOT.bin/mcs into your QSPI flash using  Xilinx Tools-> Program Flash tool in XSDK.

If you want to store your own data, you should create your own application to read/write QSPI flash. Furthermore, you can pre-store your data in QSPI flash by adding that in BOOT.bin/mcs, specifying an offset address when you create the boot image.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jcrash29 

Are you using an FPGA(I mean devices like Artix-7/Kintex-7/Virtex-7) or an SoC device(Zynq-7000 or MPSoC)? 

QSPI Flash can be used as a boot media on both kinds of devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I am using a Zynq-7000 chip.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @jcrash29 

If you want to configure the QSPI as the boot media, firstly, you should create a BOOT.bin/mcs file which includes fsbl.elf, bitsteam(if you have a PL design) and <your application>.elf using Xilinx Tools->Create Zynq Boot Image tool in XSDK. 

Then, program the generated BOOT.bin/mcs into your QSPI flash using  Xilinx Tools-> Program Flash tool in XSDK.

If you want to store your own data, you should create your own application to read/write QSPI flash. Furthermore, you can pre-store your data in QSPI flash by adding that in BOOT.bin/mcs, specifying an offset address when you create the boot image.

View solution in original post