Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Second core of Cortex A9 in ZYNQ

Jump to solution

Hello,

In the ZYNQ 7020 there is one Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 processor, meaning two Hard Core Processors. Does this also means that user can engage one processor to do one task and the other processor to do the other task ? If yes than I am wondering that where one can include the second core of ARM Cortex A9 processor ? Has this to be done in the Block Diagram of Vivado or in SDK  ? Is there any sub-window or option in the in the IP of ZYNQ PS to configure the second core ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Second core of Cortex A9 in ZYNQ

Jump to solution

Hi @Anonymous,

Not sure what will be the diiference of execution between the 2 application but yes, the first one in the BIN file should be loaded first so run first whatever the processor.

Regards,

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Anonymous,

Does this also means that user can engage one processor to do one task and the other processor to do the other task ?

Yes

I am wondering that where one can include the second core of ARM Cortex A9 processes ? Has this to be done in the Block Diagram of Vivado or in SDK  ? Is there any sub-window or option in the in the IP of ZYNQ PS to configure the second core ? 

This is done in SDK. When creating the application, you select on which core you want to run it. Vivado use only one Zynq IP for the full PS (all cores).

Florent
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Is it possible to have more then one Hello World Application using the same processor in SDK ? or the second Application has to be on the second processor ? If the second Application has to be on the second processor then can we say that we can have maximum two applications in SDK in addition to FSBL ? In total we will have three ELF files, right ?   

In SDK normally I create two Applications

1 - ZYNQ_FSBL  

2 - ZYNQ_Hello using new BSP  with processor ps_cortex_a9_0

If I create another Hello World Application using new BSP and with ps7_cortexa9_1 and have another or same task in the second Hello World Application then which one will be executed first ? 

Untitled16.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Anonymous,

Is it possible to have more then one Hello World Application using the same processor in SDK ?

> In what case would you want to have that? Why not having one application with everything you want? Else you might need an OS.

or the second Application has to be on the second processor ?

> Yes in baremaetal this is what you need

If the second Application has to be on the second processor then can we say that we can have maximum two applications in SDK in addition to FSBL ? In total we will have three ELF files, right ?   

>Yes correct

In SDK normally I create two Applications

1 - ZYNQ_FSBL  

2 - ZYNQ_Hello using new BSP  with processor ps_cortex_a9_0

If I create another Hello World Application using new BSP and with ps7_cortexa9_1 and have another or same task in the second Hello World Application then which one will be executed first ? 

It will depends on which application is started first. You will defined this when creating a bin file

Florent
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

In case of second Hello World Application in the SDK we normally need three files that has to be added in Boot Image for PS based application (without PL) in order to create BOOT.bin

1- ZYNQ_FSBL.elf (partition bootlaoder)

2- ZYNQ_Hello_1.elf (partition datafile)

3- ZYNQ_Hello_2.elf (partition datafile)

Can we say that with above order of partitions, the Application Hello World 1 will be executed first regardless on which core (ps7_coretex_0 or ps7_coretex_1) it is ?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @Anonymous,

Not sure what will be the diiference of execution between the 2 application but yes, the first one in the BIN file should be loaded first so run first whatever the processor.

Regards,

Florent

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi, could you launch the two applications from two ARMs?, I am doing the same as you, including the extra elf file in the boot image partition but it does not work, even if I just create the boot for the second ARM it does not works, if I create the boot image just for the first ARM it is all ok, I am doing this:

1.- launch SDK

2.- create app hello world 1

3.- create app hello world 2

4.- create bootimage:

fsbl.elf

wrapper.bit

helloworld1.elf

helloworld2.elf

thanks

0 Kudos