UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spartan6 with GPMC

Hi, I am trying to configure Spartan 6 FPGA to communicate with AM3358 microprocessor through GPMC bus, 16-bit non-multiplexed for asynchronous single access reads/writes. In order to configure the GPMC properly, I need to know certain timing characteristics of the FPGA. The below pictures are examples from the GPMC datasheet. I looked through the FPGA datasheet but I am unsure how to figure out these timing properties. How do I figure out these timing characteristics? 

gpmc_read_timing.PNG
gpmc_write_timing.PNG
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: Spartan6 with GPMC

first you need to decide which method of configuration your going to use for the FPGA,

have look here

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug380.pdf

I'd assume your going for a slave mode, which are on page 18.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos

Yes, I'd like the FPGA to slave configuration mode to a Microprocessor. 

Edit: Actually after looking at the configurations, I don't want the FPGA to be any of those. I don't think I need to configure FPGA to be in any of those slave configurations. Between microprocessor and FPGA, I just have address lines, data lines, CS, WE, and OE. 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Are you trying to configure the fpga ?

if so, you need to now what mode its going to use.

If you are not needing to program it, can you give us more details as to what you want to do ?

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos

I am trying to use the FPGA as an external device to a GPMC like as shown in the image. 

In order to properly configure the GPMC I need to know timing information about the FPGA, but I'm not sure how to figure out these timing characteristics. 

gpmc.PNG
0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Ok,

my apologies,  was assuming you were looking at configuration, which does have timing.

You want to interface to the fpga,

for that, you need to design the code for the fpga, 

and its your code / system that will define the timing.

0 Kudos

Ok so far I have designed the code. But what should I look at to determine the timing? I am really new to any timing analysis. 

Thank you for helping. 

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Ok,

so first up, I'd do a model of the GMPC. in what ever language your using,

that will include the timing information from the CPU data sheet

Then check does your interface work functionaly.

when you have that, post us the waveforms ,

0 Kudos