Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

Synthesis and simulation

Jump to solution

I run synthesis and after that, post-synthesis simulation.

Now I changed something. Re-synthesize. Now: I don't open the synthesized design and relaunch the post-synthesis simulation.

I have the suspicion it is using the old synthesis. If I open the Synthesis tab in Flow Navigator it asks me to reload the new synthesized project.

joancab_0-1613062794092.png

So, is the correct flow: Synthesis - open synthesized project - relaunch simulation?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kdeshwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@joancab ,

Yes you have to reload it to observe the latest effects.
Reload option would only comes if you change anything , let's say editing rtl or constraint file, after the synthesis has already been completed successfully.

Thanks,
Kuldeep

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please give Kudo and Accept as a Solution if solution provided seems helpful.
Have a look at our Versal Design Process Hub, Versal Blogs and the Versal Forum Useful Resources
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies

@joancab 

Even with plain "Behavioral Simulation", sometimes the changes I make in the HDL do not appear in subsequent simulation.  The following flow keeps simulation working "as expected" for me.

1. Close the current simulation
  2. Make changes in the HDL and save the source file containing the HDL
  3. Reset the simulation (right-click on SIMULATION to get Reset window)
    reset_simulation.jpg

4. Relaunch the simulation (which should automatically relaunch synthesis, if needed)
    run_simulation.jpg

TIP: resetting simulation, as shown above, should be done before archiving your Vivado project - since it deletes files (sometimes large) that need not be included in the archive.

Cheers,
Mark

kdeshwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @joancab ,

To run the post-synthesis simulation, just verify that the synthesis runs successfully and then the Run Simulation → Post-Synthesis Timing Simulation option becomes available.

After synthesis, the general logic design has been synthesized into device-specific primitives. Performing a post-synthesis functional simulation ensures that any synthesis optimizations have not affected the functionality of the design. After you select a post-synthesis functional simulation, the functional netlist is generated, and the UNISIM libraries are used for simulation.

For detailed information, refer UG900.

Thanks,
Kuldeep

Have a look at our Versal Design Process Hub, Versal Blogs and the Versal Forum Useful Resources
0 Kudos
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

@kdeshwal I do that, but my question is if I have to reload the synthesized design before running post-synth sim. From my recent experience it looks like I need to.

0 Kudos
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

markg@prosensing.com Yes, I also observed some funny things with behavioural. Nothing wrong with resetting everything, except for the little time each of these potentially unnecessary operations take, that at the end of the day make a significant amount for a full sim day as it was yesterday.

0 Kudos
kdeshwal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

@joancab ,

Yes you have to reload it to observe the latest effects.
Reload option would only comes if you change anything , let's say editing rtl or constraint file, after the synthesis has already been completed successfully.

Thanks,
Kuldeep

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
joancab
Advisor
Advisor

It's just a bit weird why one has to take an additional action (reload the new synthesized project) which is a potential source of errors. I cannot see the point in Vivado keeping an old synthesis.

0 Kudos