cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to read temperature from XADC except via JTAG

Jump to solution

I have a custom board with a XC7K160T.

When using the hardware manager via JTAG, I get the chip temperature in real time, even if the FPGA is not programmed, which is fine.
Using either the registers via AXI4Lite, or the temp_out vector in PL, I get always 0.

DXP_0, DXN_0, VREFP_0, VREFN_0, VP_0, VN_0 are all tied to ground.

DCLK is the clock input when using DRP interface. I use AXI4Lite interface, and s_axi_aclk is mentioned nowhere in UG480. So I entered the s_axi_aclk frequency in DCLK Frequency Field. I have added XADC in the bloc design, is it better to use it outside?

XADC_06_30_rogner.png

The busy_out alternates between 0 and 1, which is fine I presume. I did not check his frequency.

When reading register 01h (V_CCINT) I get sometimes 0xA0, sometimes 0x20. Other registers (00h, 02h, 03h, 04h) read always zero.

Edit: the ot_out (Over Temperature Alarm) behaves as expected (I set Trigger at 75.5 and Reset at 70 °C).

Edit: references are XADC Wizard 3.3, Vivado v2019.1, UG480 v1.10.1 (July 23, 2018.)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have removed the XADC from the bloc design, and changed to DRP Interface, and now it works, in the sense that I can read the temperature in register 0. However using DRP interface, it is not possible to get the temp_out (Temp Bus) in hardware.

I would like to know what was wrong in the Block Design.

By the way, Figure 5-3 "DRP Detailed Timing" on page 75 of UG480 is somehow misleading. As far as I understand, EOC/EOS, ALM[2:0]/OT, BUSY and CHANNEL are largely unrelated to the present DRP read or write operation. I would suggest to not depict them here, because they are depicted in detail in Figures 5-1 and 5-2.

A read operation consists of DEN going high for one clock cycle, while DWE is low. So only a write operation is presented here. Why is it that DO[15:0] changes? What is the point in changing DADDR[6:0] at clock cycle 4? Would be nice to show a write operation followed by a read operation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

I have removed the XADC from the bloc design, and changed to DRP Interface, and now it works, in the sense that I can read the temperature in register 0. However using DRP interface, it is not possible to get the temp_out (Temp Bus) in hardware.

I would like to know what was wrong in the Block Design.

By the way, Figure 5-3 "DRP Detailed Timing" on page 75 of UG480 is somehow misleading. As far as I understand, EOC/EOS, ALM[2:0]/OT, BUSY and CHANNEL are largely unrelated to the present DRP read or write operation. I would suggest to not depict them here, because they are depicted in detail in Figures 5-1 and 5-2.

A read operation consists of DEN going high for one clock cycle, while DWE is low. So only a write operation is presented here. Why is it that DO[15:0] changes? What is the point in changing DADDR[6:0] at clock cycle 4? Would be nice to show a write operation followed by a read operation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
tenzinc

Did you apply a software reset to the IP? Also not sure what else you would expect on some of those registers besides 0 if you have them grounded... For example 03h/04h correspond to our grounded VP/N and VREFP/N...

Regards,

T

Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

Get started FAST with our UltraFAST design methodoly guides and don't forget to visit our Xilinx Design Hubs for additional resources and reference.

If starting with Versal take a look at our Versal Design Process Hub and our Versal Blogs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

I am sorry, but I will not go back to a previous version of my design with XADC in the bloc design, because my current version works. I would suggest you to add an ID register in the XADC in order to test the AXI bus. And to clarify the documentation with respect to AXI bus (s_axi_aclk is mentioned nowhere in UG480). Later I had another issue: I want to use averaging and I use only temperature measurement. I had to select "Channel Sequencer" (even if "Single Channel" was more natural) with a very single "Channel Enabled", in order to select "Average Enable". Thank you @goychman  and https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Other-FPGA-Architecture/XADC-module/m-p/734297 for the idea of using "channel sequencer" (to solve a slightly different issue).

0 Kudos