UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Using Bank 14 for 1.8V SPI configuration and 1.5V DDR3

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Xilinx XC7A35T-L1CSG324I (Artix 7)  VCCO voltages .

I will be running using Master SPI x4 configuration.

Bank 0 will be 1.8V, Bank 14 and 15 will be 1.5V.

SPI flash IC will be powered at 1.8V and connected to Bank 14 (there are no 1.5V SPI Flash).  DDR3 IC will be powered at 1.5V and connected to bank 14 and 15.

CFGBVS will be low.

According to configuration guide UG470, V1.10, page 13 paragraph 2:

" When CFGBVS is tied to GND for 1.8V/1.5V I/O operation, then if any configuration I/O are used in bank 14 or bank 15, VCCO_14 or VCCO_15 and the configuration I/O signals to bank 14 or bank 15 must be 1.8V or 1.5V to avoid device damage."

Does that mean I can use 1.8V SPI Flash since I meet "... must be 1.8V or 1.5V to avoid damage."  Or else can I add 100 ohm series termination resistors to SPI signals to drop the input voltage to FPGA ?

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Using Bank 14 for 1.8V SPI configuration and 1.5V DDR3

@wtneo

You can use 1.8V, but if there is memory interface in the same bank please check the voltage levels from the datasheets, a level translator may be needed 

Below discussions can help

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Configuration/Master-SPI-Config-Different-voltage-level/m-p/352717#M116

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Welcome-Join/SPI-lines-IO-standard-when-the-bank-voltage-operating-at-1-35V/td-p/514871

-Vanitha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi, you should be able to interface either 1.8V or 1.5V. However you should make sure the VCCO for that bank is also of the same voltage. However you should take care to check if the SPI signals signal integrity is decide your termination based on the IO simulations.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

HI,

@vsrunga

Sorry I forgot to mention that SPI Flash at bank 14 is for Master SPI configuration.  It is a 1.8V device, there are no 1.5V SPI flash on the market I know of that can be used as configuration ROM.  I intend to power the IC at 1.8V. 

Also, Bank 14 VCCO is connected to 1.5V.  Bank 14 is connect to a 1.5V DDR3.

I  do not intend to use a voltage translator between FPGA and SPI Flash because the FPGA does not output a direction control signal for level translator. 

So I would like to know if the FPGA can accept 1.8V input during configuration when its VCCO is 1.5V.  After configuration, the SPI Flash is still driving 1.8V input FPGA.  If not, any mitigating circuits?  Note CFGBVS  is connected to gnd.

Regards,

Neo

0 Kudos
Observer seu_baikal
Observer

does xilinx have translator example design circuit.
0 Kudos