UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtex 7 Clocks

How many number of independent clocks i can generate using Virtex-7 and what is the maximum frequency of each clock?

I want to also know that what is the resolution of that generated clock from virtex-7 ?

I have studied UG472 datasheet but didn't get my answer from there.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Virtex 7 Clocks

Hi Rachid,

I think it would be good if you explained what you really wanted to do.
The question you asked was how many independent clocks can you generate in the FPGA?
How many clocks are needed?

Are you going to put a clock in from the board and use the mmcm to create more clocks? In this case these clocks are not really independent since they come from the same MMCM but they can be at different frequencies. It depends on the input clock frequency and your requirements for the mmcm output clock frequencies and how well the M/D and output divider settings suit your needs.

You will get the output jitter from the clock wizard when your mmcm is set up.
It would just be helpful to know the what you really want to achieve
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos

Re: Virtex 7 Clocks

I want to generate a clock frequency of 2GHz in virtex7 FPGA and referance clock frequency is 125MHz. the resolution of this clock should be 200KHz. I have studied data sheet of 7 series clocking resources but i got confused with the maximum and minimum input/output frequency ranges  of MMCM/PLL  and vco operating frequency limitations. What values should i choose for M,D and O? Is there any method of generating such a fine resolution clock frequency (increment/decrement steps of 200KHz)?

0 Kudos