UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtex7 FPGA Clocking

I want to generate a clock frequency of 2GHz in XC7VX485T-2 FFG1157 virtex7 FPGA. The resolution of this clock frequency should be 200KHz. I have studied the data sheet on 7 series clocking resources but I got confused with the MMCM/PLL input and output frequency ranges and VCO operating limitations. What should be the values of D,M and O while my reference clock is 125MHz?

Is there any way to generate such a fine resolution clock frequency?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Virtex7 FPGA Clocking

Hi @azeemghauri278

MMCM_Foutmax and PLL_Foutmax  (MMCM and PLL Maximum output frequency ) for -2 speed grade Virtex-7T device is 933MHz . 2GHz is out of the specification and can not be generated by any combination of D, M and O.

Clocking Wizard IP will not allow you to set this.

Capture.PNG

If you manually instantiate MMCM or PLL primitive and set the D, M, O, you will get the DRC error saying unsupported configuration of D,M and O during Implementation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accepts as Solution

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------