Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hasan.baig
Visitor
Visitor

Vivado design suite

Jump to solution

hi,

I have recently download Vivado HLx 2017.4. I see that this is the only latest tool available at xilinx website, however I was told that HLS is used only for high-level synthesis using C/C++. I would want to start off with FPGA design using verilog/vhdl for which I want to follow the design flow similar to ISE. 

I don't see any other tools (for example PlanAhead) in this 16.17 GB (All OS installer Single-File Download). 
If all the tools are not embedded in this bigger file, kindly help me getting the right version of vivado for FPGA designing.  

Thanks

Regards

HB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

@hasan.baig

Which program are you running? The installer should make shortcuts to:

Vivado 2017.4

Xilinx SDK 2017.4

Vivado HLS 2017.4

If you run the Vivado one, that should allow you to start HDL design.

If you don't see a Vivado shortcut, it's possible that you selected options that didn't include Vivado during the install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nupurs

@hasan.baig

PlanAhead is only available along with ISE.

Vivado is used for making designs using VHDL/Verilog. Link : here

Vivado HLS uses C/C++ files as design inputs.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
hasan.baig
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks Nupur,

The link you provided contains all Vivado HLx versions. this would again be the version which I already have that only allows user to design using C/C++. Please let me know which version I should exactly download.

regards

HB

0 Kudos
nupurs

@hasan.baig

Vivado HL"X" has both Vivado as well as Vivado HL"S".

On installing Vivado HL"X", it installes Vivado too. When you open Vivado, you will be able to design using VHDL/Verilog.

Thanks,
Nupur
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (click on the 'thumbs-up' button).
0 Kudos
hasan.baig
Visitor
Visitor

Oh, so I already have Vivado HLx 2017.4: All OS installer Single-File Download (an older version of what you suggested) installed but I don't see any option to start off with HDL designing.

regards

hb

0 Kudos
u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

@hasan.baig

Which program are you running? The installer should make shortcuts to:

Vivado 2017.4

Xilinx SDK 2017.4

Vivado HLS 2017.4

If you run the Vivado one, that should allow you to start HDL design.

If you don't see a Vivado shortcut, it's possible that you selected options that didn't include Vivado during the install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
hasan.baig
Visitor
Visitor

got it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos