UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado design works on one device, but not on the other one!

Hello dear engineers!

I have a complex digital design which is made of differnet modules and alot of FPGA resources are occupied. The design passes simulation and everything is ok. But when I programm FPGAs I see a weird issue! I have two boards with Kintex-7 FPGAs. I program an identical bitstream on two boards and in one of the boards I can't see the ILAs and a warning is shown that means there's a problem about the ILA clocks. I say again, that a completely identical bitstream has different behaviours on two different devices and I have faced with the sameproblem before, where different behaviours are seen on different FPGAs. I should inform that on the board which ILAs are not shown, other bitstreams can run correctly!

I know that Xilinx devices are reliable. (As we see here.) and I think there's something in my designs which I don't pay enough attention to!

I should add that I have checked almost everything out and there seems to be no problem, Issues like: Timing, possible defects on the boards, and ...

Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Herman Fisher

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Vivado design works on one device, but not on the other one!

Are these custom boards, or off-the-shelf ones?

If you have a small timing failure in the bitstream (or undefined timing for I/O) then you're largely at the mercy of random chance. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes (even on the same device) it might not - just depending on temperature, voltage, etc. If you're operating the chip at a slightly incorrect voltage (or with more noise on the supply rails, or different decoupling capacitors, etc) then Xilinx makes no guarantees at all about how/if the chip will behave.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

The board is a custom one. 

There's no timing failure and the chip voltage is completely correct.

Do you have any idea of what other possible causes? Is there anything else, rather than timing and board voltage, to check out?

0 Kudos

Hi Herman,

Check the clock source for your board/FPGA with a spectrum analyzer.  -or try another clock source.  -or swap clock sources for your two boards.

We recently started buying clock sources from another vendor.  The new clock sources have the same jitter specification as the old clock sources.  However, FPGA boards using the new clock source had unusual problems - similar to what you are seeing.  

We eventually found the problem to be a high 2nd harmonic coming from the new clock sources.  Filtering off the 2nd harmonic with an inexpensive low-pass filter solved the problem.  

-and, as I'm sure you're doing, tell Vivado how much jitter is on your clock source.

Cheers,
Mark

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mark

About your last sentence: Yes, I'm doing this. And I will try checking the clocks more precisely to find out is anything to do or not.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Mark.
As the FPGAs are identical on board and bitstream is identical tool then the issue is associated with the hardware. From the ILA error this looks like the clock is not coming properly check if the clock input is free running or not.

Thanks,
Yash
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer Yash!

Maybe that's correct, but what can we say when another bitstream with some different ILAs runs correctly on the board which seems to be damaged?

This test says that the problem can't be related to hardware!

Regards,

Herman

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@hermanfisher1994 

If all else fails, it's possible that one of the FPGAs is damaged - and it may just be a single path which affects one bitstream but not the other. Do you have the ability to swap the FPGA and re-test on the same board?

Edit: actually ... grab a good microscope and check the decoupling capacitors. We've seen a few boards where the capacitor dielectric was cracked (which is invisible to the naked eye for most SMT components) and causing all sorts of fun issues.

0 Kudos