cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AleCefo
Visitor
Visitor

What Server Hardware (configuration) should we get for the fastest compilation/synthesis/simulation time for the Vivado software?

Hi,

This request is made in order to gather vendor recommendations

for our future server (configuration) running Vivado Software on Linux. It isn’t

limited to "The Other FPGA Architecture" as mentioned in message fields.

Thus, what server hardware (configuration) should we get for the

fastest compilation/simulation time when using the Vivado software?

Could you please provide us with your recommendations?

Regards,

Ale Cefo

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maps-mpls
Mentor
Mentor

What Xilinx parts will you be targeting?

How many people will be using the server?

What design flow are you using (Project-mode GUI, non-project mode hierarchical design, etc.)?

If you don't know, and money is no object, get the most cores with the most cache with the best SSD and the most and fastest DDR you can afford.

From my experience, for Vivado, Intel processors are better.  For Embedded Vitis development and PetaLinux, AMD processors seem to have an edge (especially since bitbake is so good at using lots and lots of cores).

Avoid windows 10 if you can.  Especially avoid if your IT department loads it up with malware disguised as anti-malware.

*** Destination: Rapid design and development cycles *** Unappreciated answers get deleted, unappreciative OPs get put on ignored list ***
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

An often asked question, As maps-mpls says , fast is better. 

A lot of the FPGA code process is inherently single threaded, at most two threads. so if its a single user, then the fastest clock speed is the best,

followed by fastest DRAM/ SSD/ . Check the DRAM though, clock might go up , but if the latency is up also, it might not be faster.

If its going to have a display connected, I'd always recommend a separate graphics card, 

its not so relevant with PCIe , but it still seems to be faster than built in intel graphics, even if your only putting out text !

BUt

If its a real multi user server,

Id strongly suggest using a hyper server, and running multiple virtual machines.

now licencing can be a problem, but its the best way I have seen to use the multiple cores of most processors .

for this , the Xeon is historically the king, but I am reading a lot about AMD knocking blocks off that .

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
AleCefo
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, even though the question is quite generic.

Is there any documentation or Xilinx performance benchmark available related this topic?

Regards,
Ale Cefo

Regards,

Ale Cefo

0 Kudos
AleCefo
Visitor
Visitor

Hi maps-mps,

Thank you for your reply, even though the question is quite generic.

It's a real multi user multi server environment, thus it varies.
Server loads are varying since also other applications are running in parallel to Vivado.
The targets are varying from zynq ultrascale+ EG5 to EG17, while mostly using non-project mode.
Though, project mode is also used.

Is there any Vivado performance bechmark avilable related to different
types of processors and server configurations used?

Or spec. recommendations related to server configurations for Vivado?

Regards,

Ale Cefo

0 Kudos
drjohnsmith
Teacher
Teacher

the only recommendations I know of are the amount of memory required for each type of xilinx device, quiet frightening in my opinion.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/memory.html

As there are so many processors, that for ever change , I can't see there being recommendations,

as for bench marks, see above, to many variants 

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos