Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joe306
Scholar
Scholar

Zynq 7000 Power Supplies: Single Output Switichers or Multi-output Switchers

Jump to solution

Hello, quick question for the forum members and has to do with choosing between individual switching regulators for the Zynq power rails or use a multi-phase output switching regulator?  Can anyone share their opinions please? Which is easier for the PCB layout designer?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Like everything else, it depends.  I have a couple designs using the Analog Devices LTM4644.  Four outputs with independent enables and power good signals to make sequencing easy.  Being a small BGA part, it gets crowded under the chip so layout takes a bit more work here, but it is compact if you need to save space. 

I also used a design copied from the ZCU-102 and the TI LMZ3150x series of parts.  You can get higher power outputs.  Bigger pads and more surface area per watt makes thermal a little easier. 

General impression.  If you are crowded and have fairly modest requirements, try multi-output.  If this is a big power hungry design, think about individual converters.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Like everything else, it depends.  I have a couple designs using the Analog Devices LTM4644.  Four outputs with independent enables and power good signals to make sequencing easy.  Being a small BGA part, it gets crowded under the chip so layout takes a bit more work here, but it is compact if you need to save space. 

I also used a design copied from the ZCU-102 and the TI LMZ3150x series of parts.  You can get higher power outputs.  Bigger pads and more surface area per watt makes thermal a little easier. 

General impression.  If you are crowded and have fairly modest requirements, try multi-output.  If this is a big power hungry design, think about individual converters.

View solution in original post

joe306
Scholar
Scholar
Hello, this is perfect. I used the LTM4644 on a TI ARM+DSP design. I'll look at the LMZ part you referenced.

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
joe306
Scholar
Scholar
Just wanted to say that Enpirion EN6326 and Renesas ISL8203 are good supplies too. Very cool running chips and good efficiency.

Respectfully,
Joe
0 Kudos