cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

how to execute looping statement in a single cycle.

hello,

As we know that to execute any looping statement we require few clock cycle, but now i need to execute entire loop in single cycle. first is it possible. if yes how to execute.

RTL code:

initial out=0;

always @(posedge clk)

out=(h[k]*x[k]) + out;

initial k=0;

always @(posedge clk)

if(k<3)

k=k+1;

else

k=0;

to execute this code we need 4 clock cycles, but i should execute this in single cycle. so any one can help me.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @mupparthi_venkatesh

I'll have to go back to when I was a learner in verilog a little bit here :)

When you are saying executing in a single clock, are you talking about simulation here?

The advice I would give you is to write it as you want it to work in Hardware after it is synthesized, simulation will look after itself then. 

First there should be no need for the initial blocks 

When declaring a reg in verilog you can initialize them at the same time. 

for example:

reg [1:0] k = 2'b00;

you can probably get it all into a single always block 

always @(posedge clk)begin

out <= (h[k]*x[k]) + out;

if(k<2'b11)begin

k <= k +1'b1;

end

else begin

k <= 2'b00;

end

end

Notice I have used the <= non blocking assignment. 

this means that every edge of clk the out register is updated and the 2 bit counter increments. these two do not block each other the simulator will do both in the same simulation time step. 

try that and see how you get on. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

I think the question is "Can I do the entire sum (k=0 to 3) of h[k]*x[k] in one cycle". The answer is yes (but...)

integer k;

always @(posedge clk)
begin
  tmp= 0;
  for (k=0; k<4; k=k+1)
  begin
    tmp = tmp + h[k]*x[k];
  end

out <= tmp;
end

In this case (in fact always) you need to pay attention to your blocking vs. non-blocking assignments. The blocking assignments (=) occur immediately - just like they do in software code (C code). The non-blocking assignments (<=) are "deferred" to the end of the "active event queue" - when used in an always @(posedge clk) this has the net effect of having the reg behave like a flip-flop.

Here k and tmp are both temporary variables - they only help define the behavior of "out" from clock to clock - they are not flip-flops, they are not even necessarily wires in the final design...

Of course, it must be stated that this piece of code will be slow (ish). The four multiplications will be done in parallel, but the result of the four multiplications will have to be summed after the multiplications and in the same clock - so the critical path of this piece of code will go through one multiplier and at least two adders...

Avrum

Highlighted

thank you.

Actually in Verilog For loop is Non synthesizable.

how i can write For loop in Verilog

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

A for loop is absolutely synthesizable in Verilog when done correctly. While I haven't syntax checked the code I posted, I use code like this all the time. It is completely supported by all synthesis tools.

Avrum