UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receive RF Signal using GTX

Jump to solution

Hello

i read GTX Ip core pg168 but i didn't understand if it is possible to connect RF signal received by ground station (10 Mhz- 2.4 Ghz) directly to FPGA through SMA interface (GTX receiver) on KC705 board. if yes, which user guide or example can i follow?

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: receive RF Signal using GTX

Jump to solution

The XADC interface won't work, since the maximum sampling rate is only about 1 MHz.    With the 10.7 MHz IF output from the ICOM receiver,  the optimal way to receive the data would be a real ADC sampling at 50 MHz or above..    If you want a low cost solution to this..  I recommend that you get a Red Pitaya card, and connect the ICOM output to this board via the 12 or 14 bit ADC that runs at 125 MHz.    This will do a fantastic job of sampling the ICOM data, and you'll be able to view both the time domain and fourier domain data in a web browser with zero effort.   

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

No, the encoding is completely different.  RFSoc chips come closer but are still probably not a direct connection.  To get a better understanding of the GTX look at UG476 and probably google "Serial IO Made Simple" for a primer of serial transceivers.  For RFSoc look to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp489-rfsampling-solutions.pdf .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Despite the official documentation saying "No",  it should be possible to detect and demodulate RF signals with a GTX receiver.   It's an interesting problem in digital signal processing, since the GTX is essentially a wideband single bit ADC.   The principal requirement to make this work is that the input signal should be strong enough to toggle the input, so a signal strength of several hundred millivolts is recommended.  Other "nice to have" things would be a bandpass filter to reduce the signal power of unwanted noise sources.   If I were attempting this feat with a GTX,  I'd start with a good preamplifier, a bandpass filter in the region of interest, and a 50 ohm to 100 ohm balun, to produce the differential signal needed by the GTX.    Inside the FPGA,  downconversion and filtering can be done in the usual fashion, using the single bit data from the GTX.    This will require a supersample rate NCO with a single bit output,  which is a rather rare item to find as standalone IP.

Jump to solution

@jmcclusk

I can see it might be possible (but not recommended) for FM or pulse width modulated signals but are you saying this would work for an amplitude modulated signal as well? 

Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Sure!  Amplitude modulated signals can be detected and demodulated as well, as long as there's sufficient noise to provide probabilistic information on the bitstream from the GTX.   Of course, if you overload the input with a very strong signal, it will just toggle at the carrier rate, and all the amplitude information will be lost.    Here's a page talking about using digital inputs on a Zynq device as a radio receiver, albeit at frequencies of 500 MHz and below.

Here is a Github project with a shortwave radio receiver using LVDS inputs on an Artix device.

Jump to solution

Thank you all for support,

@jmcclusk the received RF signal is down converted from 2.4 Ghz to 10.7Mhz through ICOM R-9500 receiver, so in that case i have to implement BPF filter between the output from ICOM receiver and FPGA board as in attached figure (fig.4 https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/white_papers/wp489-rfsampling-solutions.pdf), or there is no need for that filter or any additional circuit if we take into consideration the ICOM receiver already made that.   other question, which is better, connecting 10Mhz to FPGA GTX or XADC interfaces?

Thanks

Untitled.jpg
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

the target modulation is constant envelop phase shift keying type, BPSK modulation 

0 Kudos
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

The XADC interface won't work, since the maximum sampling rate is only about 1 MHz.    With the 10.7 MHz IF output from the ICOM receiver,  the optimal way to receive the data would be a real ADC sampling at 50 MHz or above..    If you want a low cost solution to this..  I recommend that you get a Red Pitaya card, and connect the ICOM output to this board via the 12 or 14 bit ADC that runs at 125 MHz.    This will do a fantastic job of sampling the ICOM data, and you'll be able to view both the time domain and fourier domain data in a web browser with zero effort.   

0 Kudos
Newbie pemex_utzac

Jump to solution

hin .. i am from mexico.. i would want to know if it's possible to connect FPGA and RF MODULE

thanks i hope answer 

0 Kudos