UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

recommendationfor Zynq 7030 encryption battery

I see the battery requirement for encryption support for the Zynq family is 1.0V to 1.8V at 150nA. Does Xilinx recommend a particular battery? I am looking for a coin cell type but not sure if alkaline or silver oxide is preferred. Would like 10+ year life. Any suggestion are welcome. Thanks, Craig
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: recommendationfor Zynq 7030 encryption battery

Depending on how often it is powered up (or, more importantly, how long it isn't powered up), you may have a choice between:

• primary cell (i.e. non-rechargeable)
  • secondary cell (i.e. rechargeable)
  • capacitor (e.g. a double layer type designed for memory backup)

I've had success with lithium thionyl chloride primary cells (~ 3.6V) followed by a micropower LDO, which was handy for me as I also need 3.3Vish for a real time clock on some products.

Given a large enough cell capacity, you'll find that the lifetime is determined more by the temperature than by the (tiny) current for most cell chemistries.  Finding reliable information about extended lifetimes as a function of temperature in the datasheet is probably the hardest part of the design process.

EDIT: also read this thread

and this sci.electronics.design thread

Don't forget that you can use efuses, which may remove the need for a backup power source.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply and valuable input.  I do already have a Li coin cell for an RTC but was trying to avoid a micropower regulator to reduce voltage to <1.8V so i was wondering of a 1.5V primary cell was an option.  I agree that the self-discharge rate is probably the most effected by temp.  

However, I am not familiar with effuses.  Can effuses be used to permanently store the FPGA decryption keys nd remove the need for a backup battery?  I guess I need to look into this more.  I will look at the Zynq TRM and data sheet.  Any other info about effuses is welcome.

Craig

0 Kudos

UG470 is the document to read for information about efuses in 7 series.

Remember these are OTP - you can only blow a fuse once.  Be prepared to permanently brick a board or two while you are experimenting.

0 Kudos