UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor fzlorenzo
Visitor

virtual pin assignment and UART

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if it was possible to virtually assign pins to my design. The design has 32 inputs and 32 outputs which I realized that the genesys2 would not have enough pins for me to allocate them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: virtual pin assignment and UART

Jump to solution

The usual solution to design problems like this is to create a synthesizeable "testbench" to surround your design with registers that can be programmed and sampled using Vivado debugger.    In theory, you can implement arbitrary numbers of IO in this manner, although the bandwidth will be limited by JTAG.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

The usual solution to design problems like this is to create a synthesizeable "testbench" to surround your design with registers that can be programmed and sampled using Vivado debugger.    In theory, you can implement arbitrary numbers of IO in this manner, although the bandwidth will be limited by JTAG.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor fzlorenzo
Visitor

Jump to solution

Would creating a synthesizable testbench still allow me to use values taken from a UART as input data? I am still fairly new at designing so I wasn't sure as to how feasible my ideas were.

0 Kudos