UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor andypazdan
Visitor

Artix-7. Kintex-7. Affiliation of VREF pins.

Jump to solution

Where Can I find information about which VREF pins belong to which DQS pins?
I ask becouse there are two VREF pins for one bank. I quess that one VREF pin supports two DQS pairs, and second VREF supports second two DQS pairs. But which? It may not be in numerical order, for example in Kintex-7 XC7K70T-1FBG484 where bank 16 have reduced number of pins (only 2 DQS pairs, instead of 4 pairs on another banks), but still have 2 VREF pins.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Artix-7. Kintex-7. Affiliation of VREF pins.

Jump to solution

Andypazdan,

VREF is an input reference voltage... Outputs don't need VREF. If you need to free up the VREF pins for user IO functionality either use Internal VREF or non VREF based standards. The latter is difficult since most memory interfaces uses VREF based standards.

Regards,

T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

回复: Artix-7. Kintex-7. Affiliation of VREF pins.

Jump to solution

Hi @andypazdan

When Vref is required within an IO bank, the two Vref pins for the bank must be both used as Vref supply inputs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
如果提供的信息能解决您的问题,请标记为“接受为解决方案”。
如果您认为帖子有帮助,请点击“奖励”。谢谢!
Visitor andypazdan
Visitor

回复: Artix-7. Kintex-7. Affiliation of VREF pins.

Jump to solution

Even when only one pair of DQS pins from one bank are used?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Andypazdan,

I quess that one VREF pin supports two DQS pairs, and second VREF supports second two DQS pairs. But which?

Where are you basing this from? You need to connect both Vref pins for a stable input reference. As far as I know the two VREF pins are internally biased together. So if you use one the other cannot be used as an user IO.  Are you looking to try to save a VREF pin so you can use it as an user IO? If so why not just use internal VREF if that was the case? 

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/42036.html

Regards,

T

Tags (1)
Visitor andypazdan
Visitor

Jump to solution

@tenzinc wrote:

Where are you basing this from?

Sorry for my late answer.

It's just my guess, based on the fact that such a thing would be logical.
One pin - one signal.
Two pins for one signal could cause a short circuit if voltages connected to this pins were different.

I have another question about CKP/CKN signals.
Are VREF used for this pins?
CKP/CKN are outputs pins, but they should have proper common-mode voltage since DDR3 memory chip receiving this signals.
So are FPGA uses VREF to generate CKP/CKP, or use VREF only to receive from DQS pins?

I ask because I'm not sure if I need VREF on bank where I plan to generate CKP/CKN signal.

I want to free some pins, but I not able to free VREF pins becouse i plan to use DDR3 at high freguency (above 400MHz).

so I tried to free at least one of VREF pins. But if it is not possible, i have to try something else.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Andypazdan,

VREF is an input reference voltage... Outputs don't need VREF. If you need to free up the VREF pins for user IO functionality either use Internal VREF or non VREF based standards. The latter is difficult since most memory interfaces uses VREF based standards.

Regards,

T