UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Artix 7 XC7A15T GTP Power Consumption

Hi,

On my design I have XC7A15T (that has 2 GTP transceivers), and I only need to use 1 transmitter.

Please see attached XPE 84mW power estimate and actual Vivado GTP 64mW power figures.

In reality I see that enabling/powering up GTP takes about 400mW (additional) power (power control to GTP available, so I can measure total board power when GTP disable and enabled).

I am using transceivers wizard and am turning RX off. Also I have tried enabling RXPOWERDOWN and setting it to "11" but that made no difference to power consumption.

Is it possible to turn power off to RX on XC7A15T? Is it feasible to power up 1 transmitter only on XC7A15T at ~84mW?

The design is working, I am just looking to understand why such a big discrepancy in GTP power consumption.

Thank you.

XPE.jpg
VivadoPowerAnalysis.jpg
RXOff.jpg
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Artix 7 XC7A15T GTP Power Consumption

Check if eye scan is enabled in the design. ES_EYE_SCAN_EN attribute should be set to "FALSE" to power down eye scan. Also check the other powerdown signals to know if they are set to HIGH when the block is not used.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, give kudo and accept as solution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your reply.

ES_EYE_SCAN_EN attribute was set to "FALSE".

I am now double checking the system power signals.

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I would like to open up this entry again, since its 1 year old.

We also see that the MGTAVcc is much higher as calculated with XPE or Vivado power report.

XPE (2016.3) calculates typ 50mA, max 74mA @ 60°C ambient, but we see 125mA for one 6,25Gbs transmitter.

We opened the Implemented Design in Vivado and double checked that the other GTPs and EYE_SCAN are turned off.

Best regards,

Wolfgang

0 Kudos