UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie utpalrathod

Can GPIO of FPGA be defined as clock input and output?

Can I use GPIO as clock Input and Output to synchronize my external devices. 

e.g. Can Pin number E14 and E15 of Kintex 7 FPGA be defined as clock to sync external device?

Thanks

Utpal Rathod

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Can GPIO of FPGA be defined as clock input and output?

Hi @utpalrathod

It is recommended to use CCIO (clock capable IO) pins for clock input or output ports you wish to synchronize with any external devices.

Which package/ part of Kintex you are targetting? Here is the helpful link for you.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/package-pinout-files/kintex-7-pkgs.html

Regards
Rohit
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Re: Can GPIO of FPGA be defined as clock input and output?

Hi @utpalrathod

I am not sure about input but you can use GPIO to forward the clock i.e

Clock you want to forward to the downstream device  ->  ODDR  (connect output to the GPIO pin)

ODDR is to  keeps the duty cycle and provides the best possible path[Assign Logic '1'  to D1 and  Logic '0' to D2. [This way, the output of the ODDR will generate a high at posedge of the clock and a low at negedge of the clock]

Please refer to the 7 series FPGA Libraries Guide for description and instantiation of these primitives

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug953-vivado-7series-libraries.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please reply if you have any queries , Give Kudos and Accept as Solution

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply if you have any queries, give kudos and accept as solution
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos