UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor billponikvar
Visitor

Configuration - Slave Serial Mode via micro - Possible to use SPI or I2C?

Hello,

QUESTION:

-  Is there any way to use a "standard" serial bus such as SPI or I2C to configure the FPGA in Slave Serial mode?

-  Or is "Bit Banging" with GPIO pins the best way from a micro if using Slave Serial mode?

Background:

-  I know the FPGA can be a SPI MASTER to read from a Flash/EEPROM but I want the FPGA to actually be a Slave with my micro being the SPI master to send the configuration code.

-  This way I don't have to use seperate GPIO pins just for programming my FPGA.  I don't have a parallel bus.

-  I don't want to use a EEPROM or flash - want the FPGA configuration to be part of my whole image and compleletely field upgradable.

-  I don't think the FPGA directly supports what I want and will have to bit bang it - but thought worth asking :)

Thank you and appreciate any input on this!

Willie

0 Kudos