UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Dynamic reconfiguration of 7-series MMCM

Dear Forum,

When planning to dynamically reconfigure an MMCM, how do you generate a given MMCM configuration and extract it's register settings so that they can be written back into the MMCM during the reconfiguration process?

If I want have the MMCM switching between two different configurations I would expect to generate the required MMCM setup in the Clocking Wizard for each MMCM varient. After this what files should I look into, to extract the required register settings for each MMCM varient?

Regards,

DJE666 

3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dynamic reconfiguration of 7-series MMCM

Hi,

I'm still trying to understand how dynamic reconfiguration works as well. I'm commenting in order to follow this post. 

Have you seen the application note for dynamic reconfiguration? It sounds like you have but just in case I've linked it here.

My project is in VHDL so I'm working on converting the files given by Xilinx to that language and incorporating it into my project. I'll advise if I make significant progress and can answer your question. 

Best of luck.

bhall

0 Kudos

Configuration of MMCM,

Is done by bits in the bitstream.  Si, no, you do not have to do anything else.  Once reset, it restarts if lock input is lost, or if you use the dynamic config bits (reset after a change).

l.e.o.

0 Kudos

Hi @dje666 ,

One way you could do this is to compute the required parameters in your application.

One other way if you have only few clocking selection is to get the parameters from the clocking wizard and report them in your application. This is what I have done in my video series 22 if you want an example.

Hope that helps,

Regards

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos