UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer gianmarcoborri
Observer

GTX Reference Clock ZC706

Jump to solution

Hello all,

I've got a ZC706 Xilinx Evaluation Board and I am trying to set up GTX into Zynq-7000 FPGA.

To make it work I need to provide a reference clock for this transceiver. I have already read a lot of tutorials and threads on this forum but now I am only confused. I understood this:

1) GTX transceiver has 4 independent banks and 2 independent refclock each bank (MGT_REFCLK)

2) Possible refclocks are: 1 => FMC HPC D4/D5 (HPC_GBTCLK0)

2 => FMC HPC B20/B21 (HPC_GBTCLK1)

3 => FMC LPC D4/D5 (LPC_GBTCLK0)

4 => SMAs

5 => SI5324

3) All MGT_REFCLK have on the path a bypass capacitor

4) I cant use other external clocks for this purpose like integrated chip Si570 (USRCLK_P/N). Ok, there is a n-th possibility: internal FPGA clock for test only...i dont want to use it.

Am I right? Mostly for *4*

Thanks for helping

Gianmarco Borri

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Re: GTX Reference Clock ZC706

Jump to solution

Using an internal clock as a reference can work, but at the cost of greatly increased phase noise and reduced eye margins.  It's always better to use a clean external reference.   The SI5324 will give you a nice clean clock,  you just have to program the frequency you want.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
5 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Using an internal clock as a reference can work, but at the cost of greatly increased phase noise and reduced eye margins.  It's always better to use a clean external reference.   The SI5324 will give you a nice clean clock,  you just have to program the frequency you want.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
Observer gianmarcoborri
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi jmcclusk,

thanks for the quick reply. After some work with software and I2C I've finally set up SI5324. This chip works perfectly!

Regards

Gianmarco Borri

Observer thanhdokt89
Observer

Jump to solution
Dear @gianmarcoborri,

Now, I'm working on setting to use clock from SI5324 on ZC706, but I am facing some issues with SDK software.

Could you please share the Project design and the SDK to set up SI5324 via my email: tienthanhkt09@gmail.com ?

Thank in advance!

Best regrds,
Thanh Do
0 Kudos
Observer thanhdokt89
Observer

Jump to solution

Dear @gianmarcoborri,

Could you pls share the hardware and the software to set up for SI5324 via my email: tienthanhkt09@gmail.com?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Thanh Do

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution
A SI5324 driver source file named 'xiicps_si5324_intr_example.c' was included in 'rdf0240-zc706-bist-c-2015-1'.
It's quite easy to set up SI5324 using 'xiicps_si5324_intr_example.c'
0 Kudos