UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

GTX powr supply

I will design a XC7VX690T board, but the GTXs of it are of no use for me.

Should I still provide the power for them?

Thanks

Xiang Chao

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: GTX powr supply

Xiang,

Good question:  I do not seem to find the recommendation for what to do with the power pins on used GTX in 7-series.

Other families have this information in their user's guides, or in the technical answers....

File a webcase, as the information seems to be missing from the GTX user' guide (I couldn't find it).

Hopefully, someone else will read this and reply with the answer (but a webcase is faster, and guaranteed to get an answer).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The 7 Series GTX/GTH User Guide UG476 documents what should be done for each power supply rail if the MGT quads are unused in Table 5-5.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

This is actually covered in user guide, e.g.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug476_7Series_Transceivers.pdf (7 Series FPGAs GTX/GTH Transceivers User Guide)

I do remember it being easier to find on previous families (e.g. V5) because of the way the data was presented and I could quickly get there by searching for "unused".

The magical search term here is "not used" - search for these occurrences to skip through the 494 pages more quickly.

BTW, the 7VX690T uses the GTH transceiver not the GTX transceiver (that is used on the 7VX485T, 7V2000T,  Kintex-7, etc.) Which is very similar but enhanced in a number of respects including DFE.

bt

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Ed,

I missed that.  I (thought I) read through that table, but I missed it (the first time).  You are right:  it is there.

Each power supply, if not used, has its own note on where and what one should do with those pins.

Perhaps we need a technical answer to point to this table?  All the earlier parts either have a specific answer, or an answer pointing to the right document (table number, page number).  Series-7 seems to not be included for some reason in these answers.

Not sure how we can make this easier for designers.  The general rule is read the user's guide, and read any pcb layout specific guidelines or checklists.  I believe that to still be true.

My mistake was using the search line in adobe acrobat.  I did not choose to search for the same string that was used in that table.

"unused power" "unused gtx" "unused" -- there are many options, and perhaps one just has to read the manual.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

hi all
According to the guide, the power pins can be left unconnected.
I assume that is my answer
Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor joeknapp
Visitor

Hi there.

I am still a bit confused by the 7 Series GTX/GTH Transceiver Guide's comment about "not used" transceivers.
 My design XC7K160T-1FFG676 has no need for GTX/GTH and will not be using any of those IO or Clocks, etc. So, from the Analog Power Supply Pins section we find:

"If all of the Quads in a power supply group are not used, the associated power pins can be left unconnected or tied to ground (unless the RCAL circuit is in that Quad)."

I can suppose that there are referring to large devices with multiple quads. However I get stuck later regarding RCAL circuit with:

"The RCAL circuit performs the resistor calibration only during
configuration of the FPGA. Prior to configuration, all analog supply voltages must be
present and within the proper tolerance as specified in the respective 7 series FPGAs data
sheet.
The RCAL circuit is associated with the GTX/GTH transceiver Quad that is the RCAL
master. The RCAL master performs the termination resistor calibration during
configuration of the FPGA"

Will I get stuck in configuration if all MGTAVCC, MGTAVTT, MGTVCCAUX, MGTXTX, MGTXRX, MGTAVTTRCAL, and MGTREFCLK are not connected?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Visitor joeknapp
Visitor

I can confirm that all the GTX power and IO (i.e. all pins starting with MGT, including RCAL) can be left un-connected on a Kintex 7 160 if you will not be using any of the features. My board configures fine and appears to opperate without issue.

0 Kudos