UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

HDMI2.0 application on Zynq-7000

Jump to solution

Dear All,

I am following the this app note(https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1287-hdmi-on-fpga-gtx-transceivers.pdf) on the Zynq-7000. 

Need to know power consumption of the GTX transceiver for this implementation. I know there is an Power Estimator tool. But, there is no HDMI2.0 protocol in GTX choices. In fact, GTX transceiver does not support TMDS signaling, it is OK. But what protocol should I select to estimate a suitable power consumption ? In app note, there is an Retimer DP++ to HDMI2.0 converter.  What protocol enter to the this Retimer IC ? CML signaling ? OK. I want to learn Physical protocol enters to this retimer IC to make a suitable entry below quick estimator screen. (In this app note, data rate 6Gbps per lane. 3 lane GTX for data and 1 lane for clock is used)

Tags (3)
hdmi_gtx2.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: HDMI2.0 application on Zynq-7000

Jump to solution

Doner_t,

Like I proposed earlier, open the implemented design and run our report power tool to see the estimated power consumption. Once you open the design go to the "Tools" > "Report"> "Report Power". The base tcl command for it is "report_power" but run the GUI with the options/settings you select. The tcl commands for the GUI actions should be recorded in the tcl console and you can grab them from there if you need to create a tcl script for automating the run. 

If you need more guidance on doing power estimation in vivado please see our UG907 guide. Note below image is a reference figure from UG907. It depicts running report_power from a synthesized design but we highly recommend running it on an implemented design for the most accurate results. 

report_power.JPG

Regards,

T

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Tags (1)
6 Replies
Scholar jmcclusk
Scholar

Jump to solution

Displayport is a good choice for emulating HDMI power,  it should be quite close.  The output swing chosen will affect the power consumption, of course, but internal power burned in the GT is the majority of the power consumed.

Don't forget to close a thread when possible by accepting a post as a solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @doner_t

This may have gotten a bit more traction on the Video Board. 

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Video/bd-p/DSPTOOL

It is also about power consumption. 

since the design is done for you by way of the XAPP how about you build that design and do a report_power post implementation. 

You can export the XPE settings from there. 

You can then pull them into the spread sheet and play around with the toggle rates to understand what your GTX power consumption is?

Keith 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Doner_t,

Do you have access to Vivado? If you are trying to assess the power consumption for the xapp application why not just open the reference design in Vivado, run the report power tool post implementation and see the power consumption figures there? If you really want to use XPE you can export .XPE file from running report power and import that into the XPE spreadsheet. That should populate all the needed entries in the XPE spreadsheet.  Or if you just wanted the IP power data then just import the IP into XPE via the Manage IP wizard. 

Regards,

Tezz

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Dear @jmcclusk , @klumsde@tenzinc

Thank you for your replies. 

*Sure I have opened HDMI RX Subsystem IP reference design in Vivado 2017.2. Synthesized, implemented and generating bitstream. Then program Zc706 board and can see application HDMI out to my monitor. 

*It would be great if I export the power consumption data from Vivado. Toggle rates, enable other settings were only guess. 

*Please tell me related TCL commands to generate .xpe file in Vivado for importing that .xpe file to the Power Estimator Tool.  

Best Regards,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Doner_t,

Like I proposed earlier, open the implemented design and run our report power tool to see the estimated power consumption. Once you open the design go to the "Tools" > "Report"> "Report Power". The base tcl command for it is "report_power" but run the GUI with the options/settings you select. The tcl commands for the GUI actions should be recorded in the tcl console and you can grab them from there if you need to create a tcl script for automating the run. 

If you need more guidance on doing power estimation in vivado please see our UG907 guide. Note below image is a reference figure from UG907. It depicts running report_power from a synthesized design but we highly recommend running it on an implemented design for the most accurate results. 

report_power.JPG

Regards,

T

Tags (1)
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Dear @tenzinc

Thank you for reply. 

I have generated a power report using report_power command and then generate .xpe file. Then, import it into the Xilinx Power Estimator tool. So, It is seen clearly GTX transceiver configurations. 

Thank you,

@doner_t

Tags (3)
0 Kudos