UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer tamzid
Observer

ICAPE2 Vs JTAG issue

Jump to solution

Hi,
I am trying to design a system in my PL area of Zybo FPGA board. 

The system is intended to read-back the configuration memory after the bitstream loading completes and do some computation on the read data. 

I have read 7 Series FPGAs Configuration User Guide(UG470) and understood that I have to use the ICAPE2 primitive within my HDL code to achieve this. 

My confusions are the following:

1) Config mode pin M[2:0] should not be set to JTAG mode while using ICAP. Does it mean that I am not allowed to configure with JTAG in first place if I intend to use ICAP after configuration? or I can program using JTAG, but before start using the ICAP I should switch away from JTAG mode (by changing the config mode switches/jumpers)? 

Or I am required to program the bitstream with other techniques(QSPI or SD card) to begin with?

2) If I use a Xilinx Integrated Logic Analyzer (ILA) to observe the behavior, does that imply that I am using the JTAG resources? Does it further mean that by using the ILA for debug, I am preventing the operation of ICAP? Unfortunately  ILA is convenient and I am not sure what other output dumping mechanism is available that does not use the JTAG. 

3) To examine the first two points  I went ahead and Instantiated an ICAPE2 primitive in my Zybo board and implemented some simple modules along with that. I connected the ILA probes with the data out (signal: icap_data_reg_o), RDWR, and CSIB signal of the ICAPE2 instantiation. And tried to observe it. The RDWR and CSIB were connected to switches. I programmed with JTAG but after programming I switched the mode pin jumper to something else. 

I tried various values of RDWR and CSIB that should cause an ABORT. At-least that would allow me to know if the ICAP is functioning.  However I did not write anything on input bus. But the output I got does not represent ABORT status. The 32 bit ICAP output just stays in FFFF FF9b irrespective of what I provide as input to RDWR and CSIB.

Here, the important bits are icap_data_reg_o[7:0]=1001 1011.   icap_data_reg_o[31:8] is high (see unnamed.png). 

Based on the ICAP output, could you suggest if the ICAP is functioning? I was trying to ensure that before writing the whole HDL code to readout the config bits. 

Thanks. 

Tags (1)
unnamed.png
abort.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Re: ICAPE2 Vs JTAG issue

Jump to solution

@tamzid #1 Change the mode pins to some other mode but not the JTAG mode. You can access the JTAG any time irrespective of mode pins.

#2 No you could use the ICAP with ILA and VIO cores without any issues.

Just make sure mode pins are not set to JTAG.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_hwicap/v3_0/pg134-axi-hwicap.pdf

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 Replies
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@tamzid #1 Change the mode pins to some other mode but not the JTAG mode. You can access the JTAG any time irrespective of mode pins.

#2 No you could use the ICAP with ILA and VIO cores without any issues.

Just make sure mode pins are not set to JTAG.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_hwicap/v3_0/pg134-axi-hwicap.pdf

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Highlighted
Observer tamzid
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi pratham,
Thanks for your quick reply. Please see inline to help me clarify:

==>pratham: #37

==>Tamzid:

Do you think a microblaze+AXI HWICAP would be easier to implement and debug compared to HDL FSM+ICAPE2 primitive for reading out the configuration memory?

I did not use MicroBlaze before in any of my design. Hence may need some extra effort to get started with that. But I am open to this option if that gives me significant benefit in debug and implementation. I understand that the overhead would be larger using MicroBlaze. But that is OK for now. 

0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution
Yes, I think microblaze with AXI HWICAP would be easier but it largely depends on the designer.
-Pratham

0 Kudos