UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Voyager
Voyager

LEs and CLBs

Jump to solution

I read somewhere else Logic Elements (LE) are a synthetic figure in order to compare devices and even vendors.

I just noted two FPGAs (different vendors) have similar (100k) LE but quite different (8k for brand "A" vs 38k for brand "B") CLB.

Then I conclude brand A CLBs "do more things"  than brand B's. Is that right so far?

In that case, would brand A be preferable because of finer granularity?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: LEs and CLBs

Jump to solution

If two different chips both have 100,000 logic cells/elements, that means that (to a first approximation) they will fit the same amount of logic. Aspects like functionality of each slice vs number of slices have already been taken into account - you don't need to consider them separately.

I assume you were looking at the 10XC105 vs the XC7A100T, with 104K LEs and 101.44K LCs respectively. In terms of LUT numbers, they appear to be pretty close - the Xilinx chip has 15850 slices which translates into 63400 LUTs, the Intel chip has 38000 ALMs which translates into 76000 LUTs. The Xilinx chip has a higher-level structure, the CLB, which is composed of two slices; Intel does not appear to have an equivalent.

Having the more complex low-level components (a Xilinx CLB is somewhat similar to four Intel ALMs) will allow Xilinx to restrict the use of large-scale routing resources; a lot of functions can be implemented entirely within a CLB whereas they'd take multiple linked ALMs. On the other hand, that small-scale routing is taking space on the chip, which could otherwise have been used for routing resources - I would expect that the Intel chips probably have more routing available between ALMs.

1 Reply
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: LEs and CLBs

Jump to solution

If two different chips both have 100,000 logic cells/elements, that means that (to a first approximation) they will fit the same amount of logic. Aspects like functionality of each slice vs number of slices have already been taken into account - you don't need to consider them separately.

I assume you were looking at the 10XC105 vs the XC7A100T, with 104K LEs and 101.44K LCs respectively. In terms of LUT numbers, they appear to be pretty close - the Xilinx chip has 15850 slices which translates into 63400 LUTs, the Intel chip has 38000 ALMs which translates into 76000 LUTs. The Xilinx chip has a higher-level structure, the CLB, which is composed of two slices; Intel does not appear to have an equivalent.

Having the more complex low-level components (a Xilinx CLB is somewhat similar to four Intel ALMs) will allow Xilinx to restrict the use of large-scale routing resources; a lot of functions can be implemented entirely within a CLB whereas they'd take multiple linked ALMs. On the other hand, that small-scale routing is taking space on the chip, which could otherwise have been used for routing resources - I would expect that the Intel chips probably have more routing available between ALMs.