UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

LVDS_25 & 1.8V LVDS input to Artix HR bank

Jump to solution

I am using ARTIX FPGA XC7A200T. I am interfacing a 1.8V LVDS ADC to FPGA's HR I/O bank which is powered at 2.5V.

I have routed to LVDS_25 terminals of FPGA as input terminals.

I intend to use FPGAs internal differential termination for LVDS. Is this possible or allowed?? I have not provided external termination.

What are the limitation of this approch??

If i want to make use of differential termination what is the approch?? Do i need to route all LVDS to HP I/Os . Please elaborate.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: LVDS_25 & 1.8V LVDS input to Artix HR bank

Jump to solution

Correct on all counts.

There are really two issues here:

- Can you use the internal LVDS termination on a HR bank powered from 2.5V? The answer is an unequivocal "yes". This is absolutely, 100% supported.

- Can you plug 1.8V LVDS into a 2.5V LVDS bank? This is not 100% guaranteed, but it's very close. Because LVDS doesn't swing rail-to-rail (unlike, for example, LVCMOS) the supply voltage doesn't matter much - and so generally you can plug any LVDS output into any LVDS input, regardless of supply voltages. If you check the datasheets it'll be clear. In the Kintex 7 one you need Table 12 on Page 11. As long as the ADC meets V_IDIFF and V_ICM requirements (which are very wide, and should be met by pretty much any LVDS transmitter) then you're safe.

3 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

That all sounds like it should work.

You just need to ensure that the 1.8V ADC voltage levels are appropriate for the 2.5V LVDS input, but they generally are fine.

The only "limitation" of this approach (compared to the HP banks) is that the HR banks aren't as fast - but they're fast enough for most purposes.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

In the link given below

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/43989.html

If bank voltage is LVDS_25 is set to VCCO = 2.5V then I will  be able to use internal differential terminal of LVDS_25 even if I connect 1.8V LVDS.

So as you said other than performance degradation at high frequency there is no other concern.

FPGA_LVDS.jpg
0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

Correct on all counts.

There are really two issues here:

- Can you use the internal LVDS termination on a HR bank powered from 2.5V? The answer is an unequivocal "yes". This is absolutely, 100% supported.

- Can you plug 1.8V LVDS into a 2.5V LVDS bank? This is not 100% guaranteed, but it's very close. Because LVDS doesn't swing rail-to-rail (unlike, for example, LVCMOS) the supply voltage doesn't matter much - and so generally you can plug any LVDS output into any LVDS input, regardless of supply voltages. If you check the datasheets it'll be clear. In the Kintex 7 one you need Table 12 on Page 11. As long as the ADC meets V_IDIFF and V_ICM requirements (which are very wide, and should be met by pretty much any LVDS transmitter) then you're safe.