UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Power consumption Calculation

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how "big" have to be my DC-D regulators for  my XC7K35TFBG676 power supply

In particular, for banks, I try to find the worst case: the highest current an IO can need and multiply it by the number of IOs. I do not wanna spend time in a fine estimation/calculation.

The highest "drive strength" is 16 mA, for most kinds of outputs. 

A 3.3V signal driving a 50 Ohms load, would sink 3.3/50 = 66mA.

The dynamic current driving a 3.3V - 10pF pin at 100 MHz would be = 3.3mA

How can I use all those different parameters?

Am I right thinking that a 50 IOs bank can not need more than 1A at 3.3V? 

I'd like not to have to spend too much time filling out the Power Estimator Excel sheet...

Thx!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Power consumption Calculation

The power estimator spreadsheet is a very quick spreadsheet.  You dont need a design file, just enter your numbers.  If you are still looking for a quick estimation, i'd just use it:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/technology/power/index.htm

Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos
Visitor aolofsson
Visitor

Re: Power consumption Calculation

Jon is right,the power calculator is a greeat spreadsheet for quickly estimating power.  Based on your description, putting a 1A regulator would leave you a very big margin, but you could probably save money and power if you dialed in the exact number with the power calculator.

Andreas

0 Kudos