UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Programming QSPI Flash Issues KC705 Board

Jump to solution

I am using 14.3 ISE Tools (Embedded Edition) and the Kintex-7 KC705 Evaluation Board.  I am attempting to test out whether I can store the Hello World (or any other simple project for testing purposes) in the QSPI Flash and use a bootloader (hopefully the SREC Bootloader project provided by XIlinx in SDK) to load the project from the QSPI Flash to the FPGA upon powering on the Eval. Board.

When I attempt to Program the Flash in SDK, I am told that a compatible controller is not found, and therefore I am unable to proceed with my test.  It does tell me that in the Reference Manual that custom configurations may be created.  Where can I find this information on creating the custom configuration since the QSPI Flash on the Eval. Board only forms a 4-bit data width when the compatible Flash configurations are all 8-bit or larger?  Any other ways to accomplish this task would also be usefull.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Programming QSPI Flash Issues KC705 Board

Jump to solution

Thank you all for the responses.  A good bit of time has passed since I initially posted about this issue and have since found a solution through some research and/or trial and error for the actual design I was using, rather than working with the Linear BPI Flash.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

After doing more research myself, I realize now that the QSPI isn't large enough to accomplish what I want done.  However, I would like to attempt programming the Flash through SDK on the KC705 board, but the Linear BPI Flash seems to also report back as not an acceptable configuration for the Programming Flash utility.  Any ideas on how I can accomplish this goal?

I also have been considering trying to program the Flash with iMPACT.  My only problem with this method is that I don't know how to combine a .elf and a .bit file together and create a .mcs file.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
In the GUI you need to select .elf and .bit file separately.

1. Detect the device
2. Assign elf and bit file
3. click for programming option

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx11/pp_p_process_update_bitstream_processor_data_xps.htm
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Setting-Elf-File-Association/td-p/168002
Thanks and Regards
Balkrishan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@gatorbite5  Check this thread for similar discussion

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/7-Series-FPGAs/Virtex-7-boot-file-including-SDK-files/m-p/723017#M18778

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Do you have a AXI Quad SPI IP in your design? Without this, SREC boot loader won't work. Also the SDK 14.7 or earlier versions doesn't have SPI SREC Boot loader application.
If you want to use impact to program the flash with .mcs file (consisting .bit and .elf), please follow the below steps-
1. In SDK, go to Xilinx Tools-> Program FPGA.
2. Select the your custom application under Software Configuration.
3. Program FPGA. This generates download.bit file (located in hw_platform folder of SDK workspace). This download.bit is a combination of .bit and .elf. When you program the FPGA with this bit file, application also runs.
4. In Impact, you can generate .mcs file using the bit file. The process is same as generating .mcs file for a .bit file. You can refer to impact help for more guidance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Thank you all for the responses.  A good bit of time has passed since I initially posted about this issue and have since found a solution through some research and/or trial and error for the actual design I was using, rather than working with the Linear BPI Flash.

0 Kudos