UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor val_r
Visitor

SDIF-3 Audio Interface - help a newbie

Hi folks!

I'm a newbie, very new to the exciting FPGA-VHDL design world, trying to design an encoder for the SDIF-3 audio coding (a sort of Manchester coding scheme), -code attached-

Signal generated from an external audio ADC board must get encoded by this design.

Simulation actually works just fine.

I'm actually using a Basys3/Artix 7 to experiment, then I'm planning to migrate to a CPLD.

From the official Sony's document, this is what the SDIF3 encoding does:

sdif3v10-2.png

Since the A/D conversion chip already works with an external MCLK, I thought to use it to generate an internally divided

i_clk which is a double-data bit rate, i.e. the 'Clock' signal in the above picture. 

Unfortunately, because of skew (I think), encoding is prone to error.

The following is a scope snap of "data_l" input (ch1, yellow), and the encoded output "out_l" (ch2, blue):

TEK0009.JPG

not quite correct! :(

I did measure the dsd bitclock generated from the ADC board, and the "i_clk" divided DDR clock, which governs the process,

I've measured around 21ns of skew.

The following snap shows i_clk(ch1), and dsdclk (ch2, blue):

TEK0006.JPG

Can this be the cause of uncorrect encoding?

What would be the best way to correct this? Re-sync dsd-data to i_clk? how?

Please see my code attached below.

Any hint/help greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor val_r
Visitor

Re: SDIF-3 Audio Interface - help a newbie

Okay, changed little things in my new code (attached):

initialized  y_reg signal to '0', assigned DFF outputs to out_l and out_r instead of passing through intermediate signals.

Now it seems to work smoothly for the DSD 1x stream, (2.8224MHz original data, 5.6448MHz internal clock i_clk ).

In this configuration the external 22.5792MHz clock is divided by 4 to get the 5.6448MHz internal clock.

In the DSD 2x configuration, where the original data stream is doubled, at 5.6448Mbps, and i_clk is 11.2896MHz, being divided by 2 from the external Master clock, 

I encounter a sync problem, the internal divided clock, i_clk , switches a little before the datastream transitions, causing incorrect coding.

The following is the scope snap of incorrect 5.6Mbps encoding, Ch1 (yellow) is the original input data stream,

Ch 2 (blue) is the encoded stream:

13_data_r-out_r_5.6.jpg

and the snap of datastream (yellow), against out-of-sync i_clk (blue):

14_data_l-i_clk_11.2896MHz.jpg

clock is leading data.

Correct encoding should look like the following snap (at 2.8224Mbps):

10_data_l-out_l_2.8224MHz.jpg

How can I correct this?

Any hint?

Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos