UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

V7 Power Sequencing

Jump to solution

In a design involving the XC7VX330T-2FFG1157C, it is desired to power I/O banks 14..19 and 34..36 at 1.5V, with banks 0 and 37..39 powered at 1.8V.  It is proprosed to provide the 1.5V banks with Vccaux_io at 2.0V, and to provide banks 37..39 with Vccaux_io at 1.8V.

In order to attempt to accomplish the recommended power-up sequencing, it is further proposed to: first power Vccint and Vccbram together at 1.0V; then power Vccaux, Vccaux_io and Vcco (for banks 37..39) on together at 1.8V.  Vccaux_io and Vcco for banks 14..19 and 34..36 would remain unpowered intially and throughout Configuration.

Once the FPGA was configured, its then-functioning logic would first cause Vccaux_io for banks 14..19 and 34..36 to be turned on (at 2.0V), and would then cause Vcco for those banks to be turned on (at 1.5V).

Such an approach appears to follow the recommended power-up sequencing, as long as it is acceptable to leave some Vccaux_io and Vcco connections unpowered initially.

Will such an approach likely work as expected?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: V7 Power Sequencing

Jump to solution

All,

The power-up sequence as recommended requires that all Vccaux_io voltages be present before enabling any I/O bank Vcco voltages.  The use of 2V Vccaux_io then forces the need for two sources of 1.8V, the first used to power Vccaux and Vccaux_io at 1.8V, and the second to power Vcco for those I/O banks using 1.8V.

It is reasonable that Vcco should not be enabled before the corresponding Vccaux_io voltage for that I/O bank is present.  Is would also seem to be reasonable that such an enabling should be able to be unrelated and independent of the enabling of other Vcco voltages for other banks using different Vccaux_io voltages.

So, what about the following alternative approach: First power Vccint and Vccbram together at 1.0V; then power Vccaux, Vccaux_io and Vcco for banks 37..39 on together at 1.8V; then power Vccaux_io for banks 14..19 on at 2.0V; then power Vcco for banks 14..19 on at 1.5V; then do  Configuration.  This approach avoids any need to implement redundant and separately-controlled sources of 1.8V, and honors the requirement that Vccaux_io be present for a given I/O bank before Vcco is enabled for that bank.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
The power sequence matters less in a HP bank so the approach likely work. Anyhow, i doubt we have many testings against leaving some of Vccaux_io and Vcco unpowered.
It's always recommended to follow the power on sequence.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Ideally all the power on sequencing should be complete before the configuration starts. Hence it is recommended to begin your configuration only after all the power requirements have been met.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Following the power-on sequence would ensure minimum current draw and also would keep the I/Os in tri-state during power-on.

Not following this sequence may not result in successful configuration at times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

All,

The power-up sequence as recommended requires that all Vccaux_io voltages be present before enabling any I/O bank Vcco voltages.  The use of 2V Vccaux_io then forces the need for two sources of 1.8V, the first used to power Vccaux and Vccaux_io at 1.8V, and the second to power Vcco for those I/O banks using 1.8V.

It is reasonable that Vcco should not be enabled before the corresponding Vccaux_io voltage for that I/O bank is present.  Is would also seem to be reasonable that such an enabling should be able to be unrelated and independent of the enabling of other Vcco voltages for other banks using different Vccaux_io voltages.

So, what about the following alternative approach: First power Vccint and Vccbram together at 1.0V; then power Vccaux, Vccaux_io and Vcco for banks 37..39 on together at 1.8V; then power Vccaux_io for banks 14..19 on at 2.0V; then power Vcco for banks 14..19 on at 1.5V; then do  Configuration.  This approach avoids any need to implement redundant and separately-controlled sources of 1.8V, and honors the requirement that Vccaux_io be present for a given I/O bank before Vcco is enabled for that bank.

0 Kudos