UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Vivado energy report

Hi all,

Vivado energy report (post-implementation) gives two values: static and dynamic.

1. I know the values obtained here are approximate values but What is the accuracy of these values ? How does the dynamic value is obtained ? 
I read in a post that the values can be off by 20%. Is this value official ?

2. How to interpret these values by taking into account the execution time ?
For instance, I know that the software version of a hardware-accelerated IP takes 2ms while the (non-optimized) hardware version requires 5ms. How to compare the power consumption in time of the software and hardware version by taking into account the execution time of software and hardware.

Best regards,
Abdul

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

回复: Vivado energy report

Hi,
1. You can take the 20% deviation as an official value. The dynamic value is estimated by the input frequencies, the simulation file (saif)...; if you don't provide this file, the tool will use some default toggle rate, etc.. to estimate.

2. The result is not to give real time power consumption; the final report gives the total max. power consumption value, the max. Tj, the max. Iccint.....etc, to let you proper choose the power modules. So for your example, you can only see the final max power consumption difference between the sw or hw version of the IP.

Thanks,
Ivy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

回复: Vivado energy report

Hi @iguo

Thank you for your reply.
1. Is there any reference in an official documentation to this value so that I can site the documentation.
2. The tools report the maximum Power value. Is there any way possible to determine the power estimation for a given time using the tools and obtain an average value?
If I say that this is the maximum power consumption value. How can I average it with an execution time? I would like to extrapolate this value in time. Is that possible?

Best regards

0 Kudos