UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor amb5l
Visitor

fast inversion and distribution of a slow external clock

Hi all,

I need to invert an external clock and distribute globally, with minimum delay, in my 7-series design. The clock is too slow (1 MHz) for DLLs/PLLs. I have no specific delay target but the faster the better.

I have started with this: clock capable pin -> IBUFG -> LUT inverter -> BUFG -> global clock.

Is there a better way?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

Re: fast inversion and distribution of a slow external clock

You have an interesting problem there,

not certain you can route through  a lut to the global clock without considerable / variable delay.

Can you cope with jitter ?

you could treat the 1 mhz clock as a signal, 

sample it to a much faster internal clock, say 200 MHz,

observer all the normal clock crossing issues, but generate a single 200 Mhz pulse off the rising edge of the 1 MHz.

you will have 5ns jitter on this, but the delay will be small and predictable.

Visitor amb5l
Visitor

Re: fast inversion and distribution of a slow external clock

Good idea.

I need to latch an external data bus that is synchronous to the slow external clock - on the falling edge of course... My recipe for this will be: clock capable pin -> IBUFG -> BUFIO -> IDDR in OPPOSITE_EDGE mode (using Q2 output only). I will then work on the data and do everything else in a 100 MHz domain, having double sychronised the slow external clock and detected its falling edges.

Thankyou!

0 Kudos