UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ernte23
Visitor

kc705 Power Supply Issue - only 5.0V works

Hey guys, 

I have the following issue with a Kintex 7 - kc705 board: 

After removing the uart cable (in the operating board), the LEDs turned off and the fan stopped working (and I suddenly smelled something burned). It was working perfectly fine before. It could also be a short from the backside.

We measured the power supply of the whole board and it turned out, that only 5.0V and 12 V are working. 3.3V, 2.5V, etc.. are all either wrong or zero.
For the three control ICs on the backside, the PWM signal didn't work (the pwrctl*_vcc**_pwm). The others like the fault signals were allright.

Does anyone have any ideas ?  Possible fuses ? 

Regards and thanks in advance

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: kc705 Power Supply Issue - only 5.0V works

Since you mentioned a burn, I expect that some high voltage might have damaged the power regulators on the board.

Please follow the debug steps given under board debug in http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/50079.html#board to determine the state that the board is in.

If the board is under warranty (90 days from the date of arrival), I would recommend you to file a RMA ticket.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Visitor ernte23
Visitor

thanks for the fast reply. I expected a damaged regulator as well, but I just don't know which one or where the regulating device is placed, since not only one certain voltage isn't supplied anymore, all except 5.0V (and 12V) are broken.

Thank you as well for the link. I did it till step 2:a). Board Power : Power-on LEDs:

DS14 : OFF : FMC Power good
DS21:  OFF : FPGA init_b
DS22:  ON  : 12 V PWR
DS23:  OFF : UCD Power Controller

DS24:  OFF : TPS74901 PWR GD 

So all except the 12 V power are off. 

Any suggestions where to look ?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You can follow the instructions given in the pdf attached to http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/56811.html and reprogram the power regulators. If this doesn't help then you should consider filing a RMA request.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You can checkk the voltages using the TI power designer GUI to see which of the power controllers or LMZ modules failed.

You can cross check with pg  36 and 37 of the schematics for the power controller and the LMZ module outputs for referennce which to compare with the power designer gui- link

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor ernte23
Visitor

Hey, 

I tried to reprogram the regulators, unfortunately that didn't work either. 
Here is the first Error and attached the log file. All the other errors look similar (just with 1.000 V and 2.500 V)

"READ_VOUT on rail #1 (0,003 V) was not within 3% of VOUT_COMMAND (1,000 V)"

I can't request an RMA since the warranty expired already. 

I appreciate any ideas or solutions or ideas for solutions. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In your original post you wrote:

>and I suddenly smelled something burned

You have damaged components on the board and these will need to be replaced.

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor ernte23
Visitor

Well, I already changed two of the components: one differential amplifier (since the output was not in the mentioned range) and a Power Train Module (one output signal was wrong). These operations didn't reach the target ... 

0 Kudos
Observer lucian.priscu
Observer

Did you manage to to turn it on again? I have same issue but without burning something.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lucian.priscu Always open a  new thread to get quick response. Can you open a new thread and state what exactly is the problem you encountering. 

- Giri
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no such thing as a stupid question. Feel free to ask but do a quick search to make sure it ain't already answered.
Keep conversing, give Kudos and Accept Solution when you get one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos