UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

report_synchronizer_mtbf

Xilinx ug835 says that "The report_synchronizer_mtbf command reports mean time between failures (MTBF) of

each clock domain crossing (CDC) synchronizer...".  However, the command is supported only for Ultrascale devices and not for 7-series devices.

I have found calculations for synchronizer MTBF (due to metastability).  However, they require values for flop parameters:

tau = settling time constant of the flop

tW = (roughly) time window of susceptability for the flop

Q1: Are these flop parameters found in the Xilinx docs or must I call my Xilinx FAE to get them?

In <this post> gszakacs says that "fabric flops" are better for building synchronizers than "SRL flops" and that setting ASYNC_REG properly ensures that the "fabric flops" are used.   In <this post>, avrumw suggests that the "IDDR flops" can be used to make the perfect 2-flop synchronizer. 

Q2: Does Avrum's comment imply that the "IDDR flops" are better for building synchronizers than the "fabric flops"?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: report_synchronizer_mtbf

Why is Xilinx reluctant to provide flip-flop parameters (tau, tW) that are related to metastability?  Is this proprietary information or is there concern that we will use them improperly? 

I found old Xilinx App Notes (XAPP077 and XAPP094) that describe use of these parameters for calculating MTBF.  Are the formulas found in these App Notes no longer valid?

0 Kudos

Lack of responses to my post suggests that I’ve hit on a forbidden topic. So, I’ll wrap things up by saying that I found very interesting reading about synchronizer MTBF in papers by Ran Ginosar – especially his 2011 tutorial publish in IEEE CS, which can be found <here>.

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

In this post I got a reply from @muzaffer where he tells me to contact my FAE for an excel study spreadsheet, that partly answers your question I guess.

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **

Thanks Ronny!  Its good to hear from you.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Q2: Does Avrum's comment imply that the "IDDR flops" are better for building synchronizers than the "fabric flops"?

I actually have no idea if the IDDR flip-flops themselves are better or worse than the fabric flip-flops for metastability resolution. I assume they are about the same (SRLs are worse because they are not actually flip-flops - they are some kind of latch based shift register). My reason for suggesting that the IDDR is better is that the two flip-flops in the IDDR in SAME_EDGE_PIPELINED mode are part of the same cell - there is effectively no routing between them. This means that the entire clock period is available for metastability resolution...

Avrum

0 Kudos

Thank you, Avrum!

0 Kudos