UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

thermometer to binary encoder

Hello Sir, I am trying to implement Time to Digital Converter in FPGA, I want help regarding 'Thermometer to Binary code conversion' please if anyone has idea of verilog code please help. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Gopal.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar dpaul24
Scholar

Re: thermometer to binary encoder

gopal@123,

' please if anyone has idea of verilog code please help.

This is not how this forum works, providing RTL codes for homeworks/class-exercises/projects. These are tasks you should be trying to do yourself.

1. Show what you have done.

2. Where exactly you are stuck and where do you need help.

3. Provide all prossible info and illustrations.

4. Ask specific questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPGA enthusiast!
All PMs will be ignored
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Quite apart from what @dpaul24 has said - you need to provide a whole lot more information.

What does time to digital conversion have to do with thermometer to binary conversion? What thermometer is this? Have you got (for example) a 120MXS watching a standard mercury thermometer, and you want to perform image segmentation, OCR the thermometer scale, and pull the temperature from that? Or maybe you've got a BAE TWV1912 and you're using that to measure temperature? Or a lemon-based battery connected to a resistor, with the voltage (measured on the XADC) giving you a temperature? Or an internal ring oscillator in the FPGA that's acting as a thermometer? Or something more sensible, like a TMP100? How is all this connected to the FPGA? What FPGA is it? What board are you using? What sort of binary output are you expecting?

0 Kudos
Scholar drjohnsmith
Scholar

This comes up every few years,

http://bwrcs.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/icdesign/ee141_f10/Project/EE141-Proj2.pdf

Its an interesting question, as it depends how far you want to tak eit.

At its basics, its a big Look Up Table ( LUT )

or you look for the highest set bit of the thermonitor, and use that to set your output,

many ways, all have pros and conns,

which if I was to set this, is more what I'm looking for the student to have thought about than the actual implimentatoin.

0 Kudos

I remember doing a 16 bit thermometer code to 4 bit binary converter at 200MHz in Virtex-2 when they were first released.  I used a carry chain to find the first bit set, then LUTs to convert that to binary.  The carry chain was hand placed using RLOCs in VHDL.

0 Kudos
Visitor gopal@123
Visitor

Thank you to all for your quick reply. 

0 Kudos